Thursday, September 8, 2016

Reading Update for Hill House | A quote and some thoughts

The Haunting of Hill House

by Shirley Jackson

~ Goodreads ~

Progress:  96 of 174 pages (55%)


Gossip says she hanged herself from the turret on the tower, but when you have a house like Hill House with a tower and a turret, gossip would hardly allow you to hang yourself anywhere else.

I really like this declaration. XD

 I'm finding this book very charming so far and am enjoying the characters a lot.  Nothing really sinister is happening just yet, but stuff is happening nonetheless.

I didn't think I'd really be able to get into this book, if only because I've always had a difficult time reading historical fiction that is actually written during that time period, which, I guess, technically would be contemporary during the time the book was written.  If that makes sense to anyone.

But I'm finding The Haunting of Hill House very enjoyable.  I started reading this before heading to work last night and found some time to slip in a bit more reading while the lab was quiet, though it shouldn't take long to finish.  Of course, the book looks bite-sized, but in actuality, it DOES feel like it requires some time to read all of it.

On a side note, the version of Hill House I borrowed from the library doesn't have a cover illustration to it, as opposed to the Penguin Classics cover I'm linking this update to.  It's got a maroon hardcover and was published in 1987, and looks like one of those old library books that should have a pocket inside the front cover.  I assume it must have had a cover jacket at some point in its life.

Brings back memories...




No comments:

Post a Comment