Thursday, July 20, 2017

Booklikes-opoly | Roll #30! and Free Friday #6!

Booklikes-opoly
Booklikes, the book blogging social platform


Seems like I was still in a Nora Roberts mood.  For Roll #29, I managed to roll one set of doubles and ended up with two books.


The first square I landed on was Main Street 11, where I chose to read a book written by an author born prior to 1955, Northern Lights by Nora Roberts.  The book was a whopping 562 pages, hard cover, so felt like a monster of a tome to finish--took me a few days, even.  Because I'd landed on this square once already since the Big Game Shake Up, I earned $15.00 for completing this book and task.


The next square I landed on was New Orleans Square 21.  I had decided to read Burning Lamp by Amanda Quick, a book that takes place in England, which counts as an island.  Once again, this is a square I've landed on before after the Big Game Shake Up came into effect.  Being 328 pages, I earned $9.00 for completing this book.

Reviews for both books will be coming soon.


Meanwhile, I'm still reading my Free Friday #5, The Law of Attraction by N.M. Silber, a short contemporary romance... that just seems to be taking some time because I'm not really that interested in this book.  In fact, the beginning felt so annoyingly tacky and juvenile that I had to remind myself that this book is in the New Adult target.  And to be honest, I've read few New Adult books and have enjoyed even fewer.

It's cute, but I can't help myself comparing it to Julie James, which is probably not a good idea.

I'm hoping to at least finish this book before Friday rolls around so I can pick up my next Free Friday read.  If not by Thursday, hopefully I'll finish it early enough on Friday that I can start in on my next Free Friday book (more on that later)


Roll #30:


I rolled a 7 and landed on Free Parking, which states:  "Roll the dice.  Odd number sends you to the waterworks, even number sends you to the electric company, doubles sends you to the luxury tax."


... Monkey?

Well, anyway...


... so I rolled once more, getting a 6, which takes me to Electric Company:  "Read a book where a main character is in STEM, or where the author's first and last name contain all of the letters in 'Tesla'."


Oh.  There you are, Monkey?  Dramatic much?  And Penni, you're kind of blocking my Teddy Bear game piece... but, "Hi!"

I think this is the first time ever that I've landed on this game space since the BLopoly started.  It's the first time I've landed on Free Parking as well--each time I've come across either Water Works or Luxury tax was because an actual counted roll move landed me there.

But anyway, since I've never landed on Electric Company before, pre-Big Game Shake Up or otherwise, no location multiplier will be applied.


Anyway...

I had wanted to read a book from my COYER list, but none of them fit, so I decided that I just needed to find something else altogether.  In truth, the only book on my entire COYER list that did fit was The Manhattan Encounter, but I already read it--had a character who was a scientist.

But anyway, I'd be lying if I said I had looked really hard to find a book.  Upon landing on this game space, the first book I thought of was The Pretender by Celeste Bradley--as we can see, this author's name fits the 'Tesla' criteria in that we can find all the letters of 'Tesla' in our author's first and last name.

And, honestly, I didn't really look that hard for another book to fit the other part of this game space, a character in STEM.  Because I think I already made my decision when I first put together a list of possible books to read for this game space.

So guess what I'll be reading?


The Pretender by Celeste Bradley is the first book in the Liar's Club series.  I'm loathe to begin another new series when I have so many others to finish... but whatever, I'm game; and super excited, because I've been so interested in this series since I first stumbled onto it that I'm actually kind of glad for an excuse to read it.

After a year of Courtney Milan, Tessa Dare, and Amanda Quick, hopefully this is another great, but the critics seem kind of conflicted.

The Pretender is 455 pages (Scribd e-book version), and since I have never landed on this square before, there are no location multipliers in play.  This book will be worth $10.00 upon completion.

The Scribd version of The Pretender that I will be reading gives me a count of 455 pages, but no matter where I've been looking, either on BL or GR or Amazon, The Pretender gives a page count of either 384, 388, or 385.  Since some e-books may not be accurate, I decided to go with the page count number that comes up the most instead of the Scribd e-book version.  So I will be counting this book as 384 pages, for a $6.00 cash award, just to be fair about it.


Meanwhile, for the Free Friday Read #6:

I know, I know.  It's not Friday yet, and I still haven't finished my current Free Friday Read.  But The Law of Attraction is pretty bite-sized, and I have no doubt that I'll have it done, if not tonight (Thursday), then at least early on Friday morning.  Being so, I decided to just go ahead and pick my next Free Friday Read, since I'm too lazy to create a second BLopoly update for Friday.

And also because I already know what I want to read.


Midnight Crystal by Jayne Castle (a.k.a. Jayne Ann Krentz) is the last book in the Dreamlight sub-trilogy of the Arcane Society/Harmony series.  Since I just finished up Burning Lamp, I'm jittery to move onto the next book so I can finish reading this trilogy, and was going to read it one way or another, whether or not it would end up counting for BLopoly.

Meanwhile, I'd been staring at the name Jayne Castle, thinking that it would have also fit the 'Tesla' game space criteria... but I didn't want to push my luck since Jayne Castle is really one of JAK's pen names, and I wasn't sure if it would count.  Upon further investigation (because I do things like that), I found that Castle is actually JAK's maiden name.

Nonetheless, I've made my decisions and I'm sticking to them.

Midnight Crystal is 371 pages, paperback version, which will be worth $6.00 upon completion (no location multipliers for Free Friday books).  I promise I won't start reading this book until I have finished The Law of Attraction.  And if, due to some strange reason, I don't even finish The Law of Attraction by tomorrow, I'll just shelve Midnight Crystal for another time.


Current Bank:   $219


No comments:

Post a Comment