Wednesday, November 8, 2017

It's Really Wednesday... And I'm Hijacking This Meme Again. | 11/08/2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a place to meet up and share what you have been, are and about to be reading over the week.  It's a great post to organise yourself.  It's an opportunity to visit and comment, and er... add to that ever growing TBR pile!  So welcome in everyone.  This meme started with J Kaye's Blog and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey.  Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at the Book Date.  And here we are!


It's been a while since I last posted anything, so I thought I'd give a quick news update on my reading life, and a little tidbit of my non-bookish life.

The weekend had been busy with my preparations in moving to my new job/position/shift.  My brother was also in town to visit, so my dad took the opportunity to recruit his muscle to help move some furniture and purchase a brand new couch.  I spent one morning with a bunch of coworkers, having breakfast together to celebrate my new position.  So, overall, the weekend was busy but relaxing.

Then... on Monday evening, while driving home from a day trip with a friend, we had a little bit of trouble in the form of one lone deer darting in front of my car (an SUV) across a country highway.  The results were disastrous, but my friend thinks we got lucky because I'd been keeping slow anyway because of the dark nighttime, low visibility, and the twisty-turny-curvy route, and the big semis flying past at random.

It was a two lane country highway, with traffic going in both directions.  The deer was sitting in the other lane, and my friend saw it first.  She yelled, "Deer!" and I saw it as soon as she yelled, and started going for my brakes.  Then the darn thing gets up and leaps across my lane like it has lives to spare, and we make contact.  All the while, my foot is pressed down on my brakes like my life depended on it.  All I remember is my hood popping up, and me, somehow getting us off to the shoulder of the highway, out of traffic.  When the hood of my car came back down, I could see the deer, sitting some distance off, and then suddenly just getting up and leaping off into the nearby fields away from the highway.

Then I'm a mess of, "Oh, shit!  Oh, shit!  What do I do now?"  Rinse, and repeat.

That was definitely an experience I hope never to go through again.  The police officer who came out to assist when we called them went in search of the deer and found no trace.  He mentioned a high fence and said that it might have leaped the fence and continued on, though we don't know the extent of its injuries.  We were speculating that it might have already been hit previously, maybe by another, larger vehicle that didn't sustain as much damage as mine; which would explain why the deer was just sitting in the middle of the highway in the dark.

Meanwhile, I spent the rest of the night having a melt down after my parents picked us up (we were still about an hour outside of our home town), because I'm guessing the adrenaline caught up with me or something.  I was a nice blubbering mess and couldn't even pinpoint why I was crying.  Then we spent the next morning dealing with insurance and other details.

Now we wait to see if my car is totaled or still fixable.  The front end is smashed--all the lights are broken, and so is the bumper and grill; and there was a lot of fluid leaking, that the officer said might have been anti-freeze and washer fluid; maybe radiator fluid.  The rest of the car is fine, and I think the windshield was only scratched, though it was hard to tell in the dark.

Needless to say, I haven't exactly been in a mood to do anything at all the past couple days, and even today.

I'm behind on reading and blogging, but with everything starting to settle now, I'm hoping to have my two current reads finished soon.  I have two written reviews I'd planned on posting on Monday, but that plan obviously went out the window.  I just need to finalize them, and hopefully will have two reviews posted within the next couple days... depending on my mood.


What I Read Last Week




What I'm Currently Reading




What I'm Planning to Read Next



I haven't actually been thinking about what I want to read next, but I DO have Maggie Stiefvater's newest book release borrowed from the library that I probably need to get to as soon as I can.  It's got a rose on the cover, so I will be reading it for one of the squares/holidays in the 16 Festive Tasks game being played at BL right now.

Then I'll figure out what I'm in the mood for after that.


Other Plans On the Blog


I have actually been spending a little bit of time since the beginning of the month drafting some posts for the 16 Festive Tasks, which I'm hoping to get posted in the near future.  I've got at least three non-book tasks I'm planning to post about--two being drafted, and one still being planned--and so am hoping to find time to get those activities done at some point, with pictures and all, so I can share with the rest of the BL community.

Meanwhile, since I haven't really been reading much the past few days, there's really little else going on.

But, again, I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things, and maybe I'll become more active the rest of the month, when life finally decides to settle down.


No comments:

Post a Comment