Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Monthly Reading Wrap Up -- October 2017

Before I knew it, October was coming to a close.  I feel like it was just a couple days ago that I started reading Bingo books, and posting my first few Halloween Bingo updates.  But September, and then October, seemed to just fly by pretty quickly, and now, here we are, moving into November.

A lot has been going on in my non-bookish life, and maybe that contributed to time flying by so quickly.  But a new chapter in my life is starting up, and I honestly think it will be for the best.  I'm going to be exchanging my late night third shift graveyard hours for a day time position--maybe this will actually allow me to get some sleep when my hours start following a more normal rhythm.  I will actually feel like I have more time to spend with my family and friends, rather than ending up sleeping my entire day away because I can't seem to find the right time to sleep anymore.

So much as been on my mind lately that the only way to keep myself sane had been books, mind-numbing 'click-click' games, and reading games such as Halloween Bingo.  Hopefully things will settle for me soon, and I can have myself some sort of lifestyle that will benefit me.

October Reads




Also Read:  Kidnapping in the Black Hills (short story) by Paige Tyler -- no cover


Books Dropped/Put On Hold


None this month!  Yay!


Currently Reading




October Reading Stats

Total works read: 18
  • 13 print/e-book novels / 1 audio book
  • 1 novella (e-book) / 1 novella (audio)
  • 2 short stories

Average rating: 3.56 Stars
  • Highest Rated:  7 titles // 4.0 Stars
    • (1) Jaxson by Alisa Woods
    • (2) Her Fierce Warrior by Paige Tyler
    • (3) Deep As The Dead by Kylie Brant
    • (4) The Jade Temptress by Jeannie Lin
    • (5) The Liar's Dice (novella) by Jeannie Lin
    • (6) Jace by Alisa Woods
    • (7) Kidnapping in the Black Hills (short story) by Paige Tyler
  • Lowest Rated:  The Turn of the Screw by Henry James // 2.5 Stars

Series I started reading:
  • Keepers of the Veil by Zoe Forward
Series I completed:
  • In the Garden by Nora Roberts
  • The Pingkang Li Mysteries by Jeannie Lin
  • River Pack Wolves by Alisa Woods
Series I have made progress on:
  • Moreno & Hart by Allison Brennan and Laura Griffin
  • X-Ops by Paiger Tyler
  • Mindhunters by Kylie Brant

Favorite reads:  The books read for the month of October weren't entirely outstanding, but nothing really came out completely disappointing either.  My favorite book would probably be Jeannie Lin's The Jade Temptress; another book that kind of stands out was probably Jaxson by Alisa Woods.  Oh yes, and a little shout out for Kylie Brant's newest Mindhunters installment, Deep As The Dead.

Disappointing reads:  The truth is, my biggest disappointment was probably Deanna Raybourn's The Dead Travel Fast.  That's not to say it was a bad read or anything, but it wasn't exactly what I'd been hoping for... and maybe if I'd gone into it after reading the Julia Grey books, I wouldn't have expected much more than now that I've read her two Veronica Speedwell books.  Another disappointment might be Just Past Midnight by Amanda Stevens, if only because I've read her Graveyard Queen books, which are much more mature, much better written, and with less romance cliches.


Reviews & Notable Posts

Reviews Written


Memes


Other Posts



Coming Up In November

Tentative TBR




Other Stuff

With Halloween Bingo finished, the next game to look forward to is going to be a holiday themed one that will be hosted at Booklikes by Themis-Athena and Murder by Death.  What, exactly, the game would consist of, was still a big question mark, since they were keeping everyone in excited suspense up until their big reveal!  The 16 Tasks of the Festive Season will be a fun time of reading books or performing some fun activities, then sharing with all the community.  I hadn't planned on participating in another game this year, and wanted only just to focus on my year-long ongoing reading challenges... as well as settling some non-bookish stuff in my life.

But after reading the posts for all the tasks (above link) and the rules, I started thinking and planning and making lists and creating spreadsheets... and the next thing I know, I'm so deep into the game already that I'd be damned if I pull back out without at least finishing some of the tasks!

Anyway, I will probably try to have a tracking/summary page up soon, as well as a few update posts.

I've still got a few series I'm wanting to finish up before the end of the year, as well as a few books I really want to get to reading.  But as I'm trying to keep things light in my reading life, I won't be too overly disappointed if I don't finish them.  Although my ultimate goal is to finish Jill Shalvis' Lucky Harbor series, mainly because I'm dead stubborn about reading the last novella, about Sawyer and Chloe, during the Christmas season, since it's a Christmas novella... and maybe see if I can't figure out how to insert that book into the 16 Tasks while I'm at it.

I'm also still working on housekeeping items for my blog, such as transferring the rest of my reviews from Goodreads and Booklikes, and finishing up some static menu pages.  Obviously, this will also still be an ongoing project that will last into the new year, and then maybe a couple months after.

Truth is, I'd really, really, really like to finish transferring my reviews, but time has been limited as of late with all the things going on in my non-bookish life.  And also, I get lazy really easily.  And also, reading is my first choice, obviously.


2017 Wrap-Ups 

Past Monthly Reading Wrap Ups
See Also: 2015 Reading Wrap-Up posts (scroll to bottom of page)

(updated as year progresses by month)
January | February | March | April | May | June
July | August | September | October | November | December



No comments:

Post a Comment