Sunday, July 1, 2018

Monthly Reading Wrap Up -- June 2018

It's pretty amazing what one beloved author, and an extremely unplanned, laid back reading mood can do for a reading slump.  I really DO hate to jinx myself, but I think I'm feeling the stirrings of interest return in my reading life once again.  This reading slump may be lifting at some point, hopefully in the near future.

As it is, the month of June was an immensely better time for my reading life than the previous two months had been.

And while I read more than just good ol' Jayne Ann Krentz... well, it's hard for me not to give credit where credit is deserved.  Because, despite the fact that she DOES tend to follow the same formulas and patterns, sometimes that's really all you need.

June Reads




Books Dropped/Put On Hold


None this month!  Yay!

Currently Reading




June Reading Stats

Total works read:  13
  • 12 print/e-book novels
  • 1 audio book

Average rating:  3.46 Stars
  • Highest Rated:  5 books // 4.0 Stars
    • (1) Smoke in Mirrors by Jayne Ann Krentz
    • (2) Secret Sisters by Jayne Ann Krentz
    • (3) River Road by Jayne Ann Krentz
    • (4) Falling Awake by Jayne Ann Krentz
    • (5) Lost & Found by Jayne Ann Krentz
  • Lowest Rated:  The Third Twin by Dani Sinclair // 2.5 Stars

Series I started reading:
  • Bevelstoke by Julia Quinn
  • Sutter, Cutler & Salinas by Jayne Ann Krentz
Series I completed:
  • Heartskeep by Dani Sinclair
  • Animal Magnetism by Jill Shalvis
Series I have made progress on:
  • None

Favorite reads:  As stated, I really spent most of the month of June reading Jayne Ann Krentz books.  And as I had figured, you can't really go wrong with a beloved author who can easily pull you into the world of her books, even if all the worlds are pretty similar to one another.  Even though a couple of books I read by her were pretty average (as are a lot of others I've read previous to this month), I was still very much kept entertained and happy!

A kudos goes to Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria Holt--as much as I had quibbles with a lot of the old romance cliches, this book was strangely addictive and kept me engrossed until the very end.

Disappointing reads:  I was fairly disappointed that I didn't like Julia Quinn's Miranda Cheever more, since the premise had a lot of promise.  It was just unfortunate that a lot of things in the book really irritated me enough for me to have not enjoyed it.  Meanwhile, after reading the first two Heartskeep books and really liking them, I was only a bit disappointed that the last book in the trilogy wasn't as enjoyable.


Reviews & Notable Posts

Reviews Written


Memes

  • Did not Meme this month!

Other Posts



Coming Up In July

Tentative TBR



Other Stuff

With my renewed interest in reading and blogging--as well as a lot of already drafted review posts--I'm very much hoping that there will be more activity in the coming months.  Of course, we've been here before, and each time I think I'm going to jump back into blogging... well, things start tapering off.

There will be a lot of activity going on in real life, for one, so I'm holding off on any promises of rekindled activity here at the Book Abyss.  At this point, I'm just going to go one day at a time and see where it takes me.  Maybe not having too many plans will be better for my state of mind--reading-wise and blogging-wise--in the long run.

Until then, I DO intend to have a couple reviews up and posted in the next couple weeks when I finish reading both the Eclipse Bay trilogy, and the Predator trilogy.  I'm still on a Jayne Ann Krentz "read all the books!" phase, so there will more than likely be another packaged review with her name on it.

Meanwhile, I'm still working my way through transferring all my old reviews to this blog.  I know it's been three years since the launching of Ani's Book Abyss, but sometimes I can't force myself to make quick progress, if only because I'd hate to over-tax myself and then put the blog on hiatus.


2018 Wrap-Ups 

Past Monthly Reading Wrap Ups (2016 / 2017)
See Also: 2015 Reading Wrap-Up posts (scroll to bottom of page)

(updated as year progresses by month)
January | February | March | April | May | June
July | August | September | October | November | December



No comments:

Post a Comment