Saturday, November 24, 2018

24 Festive Tasks | Door 8: Penance Day



(November 21)


Updates


11/24/2018:  Two tasks done.


Task 1


“Confess” your book habits. Dog-earring?   Laying books face down?  Bending back the spines?  Skimming?   OR: Confess your guilty reading pleasure, or comfort reads.
-- COMPLETED 11/24/2018 --

In an honest admission... yeah, I am super guilty of laying my books face down and open rather than using a bookmark.  This only ever happens when I'm not really thinking about it, and something suddenly requires I take my attention away from said book.  I am very consciously trying to eradicate this bad habit... I promise.

Meanwhile, my comfort reads comprise of any and all things Romantic Suspense.  Some favorite authors include Jayne Ann Krentz (in all her various pseudonyms), Laura Griffin, Cindy Gerard, Pamela Clare... this list could go on, really...


Task 2


It’s “Pennants” day according to MbD’s husband: post a picture of your favorite team’s logo / mascot and the last time they’ve won a championship (or not).
-- SKIPPING THIS ONE --

I don't really sports.

That being said, I made a feeble attempt at finding a pennant for my favorite non-sports team.  Failing that, I made my own:


I don't think there are any documented championships, but I'm sure there are many out there!


Task 3


In centuries gone by, penance would often end up in what might be described as a very extended bad hair day (complete with sackcloth and ashes).  Tell us: What’s a bad hair day to you – and what (if anything) do you do about it?
-- COMPLETED 11/24/2018 --

I'm a member of the "Everyday is pretty much a bad hair day for me" club.  Just like many of the others here have mentioned, I also have extremely unmanageable hair.  I was born with super thick strands that, barring using a flat iron, really will never lay in a natural fashion outside of two settings: 1) the humid frizz, or 2) the this-is-obviously-not-a-fashionably-trendy-type of tousled.

I actually had an interesting conversation with a coworker lately about our hair.  I told her about how I'd tried many different styles as I grew up, and even the one that even remotely looks like I tried was not easy to maintain.  Because, let's face it, I'm an extremely lazy person.  How my hair looks is not as important as sleeping in.  And yet, sometimes I just wished it would cut back on the frizz and static.

I once cut my hair extremely short, thinking that it would be easier for me to handle.  Long thick hair pulls on your scalp and is very uncomfortable in a pony tail.  But when working, loose hair just gets in the way.  Little did I realize that short hair was even harder to manage than I had thought.  Because instead of having that fashionably tousled look (see above), I had random chunks sticking out like embarrassingly over-eager cowlicks.  So rather than looking like I meant to make my hair look that way, it looked like a "why didn't you comb your hair?" style.

So... long hair it is now, yet short enough to tie into a pony tail, so that it's not too heavy and won't tug on my scalp as badly.


Task 4


Early Christian spiritualists would sometimes do penance by spending time in the desert.  If you’ve ever visited a desert region (or even live there), post a picture and tell us about it.  Alternatively, post a picture of sand dunes (NOT with water in the background!).
-- Probably SKIP --

I'm not sure that, outside of doing some Google work, I'll actually be able to complete this one.  I might come back later.


Book Task


Read any book concerning a man / woman of the cloth, a book about a character hiding a guilty secret or searching for absolution.
-- SEARCHING --

This task made me think of nun assassins.






No comments:

Post a Comment