Wednesday, February 27, 2019

BookLikes Snakes and Ladders | Dice Roll #3

Well... I hadn't expected to finish reading SEAL for Her Protection so quickly, but it was a pretty bite-sized book, just barely crossing the 200 page line.  According to my Kindle edition, it's noted at 234 pages, but the book actually ends at 217 pages... although Goodreads lists it as 208 pages.  Either way, it's more than 200 pages, so I'm going to make it count.  Especially since finishing it so quickly had nothing to do with it being any good... quite the opposite, really, but we'll get to that in my review at a later time.



BookLikes Snakes and Ladders


Meanwhile, my next roll landed me on Square 18: "Set in a school."


To tell you all the truth, I wasn't all that thrilled to land on this square, because the only kind of books I can think of guaranteed to take place in a school are either YA books or New Adult.  I don't read New Adult, and I wasn't feeling any desire to read YA.  I thought for sure that I'd have to just give in and read any random book from my "set reading list of the moment," and then just roll one die afterward.

But never let it be known that I'm not too stubborn for my own good!  I actually found TWO books I'd be interested in reading.  Unfortunately, my first choice, Broken Girls by Simone St. James, isn't really available to me at the moment unless I want to dish out $11.99 for the Kindle edition.  I'm not sure any e-book is ever worth that kind of money... even if I've dished out that kind of cash for e-books in the past.  But I was super excited that Broken Girls sounded like it took place in a school, only to be disappointed that I had no access... and I'm not likely to wait for library availability before moving on, because I NEEDZ to roll again!


So in my continued stubborn quest to find another possible book, I stumbled across Gail Carriger's Etiquette & Espionage and found the stirrings of interest hitting me.  Young Adult book though it is, I think I like the idea of the basis of this "finishing school" where young ladies "learn the fine arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but they also learn to deal out death, diversion, and espionage--in the politest possible ways."

I'll be starting Etiquette & Espionage as soon as I finish reading Ride the Fire, which is my first priority right now.  Meanwhile, I also need to finish reading Thunder on the Right because the book is due to be turned into the library pretty soon... and I'm sort of out of renewals.  Le sigh...  It might be a while before I get to roll again, but maybe I'll have at least two books in my arsenal for future use!


Currently Reading


 


Books Read Pending Square Selection


None yet.


My Progress


Dates for each dice roll corresponds with respective update post.
Book titles link to reviews if written.
Completed books' covers (read and used for squares) following table.

Date Dice Roll Square/Prompt Book Title / Author Fits Square?
02/20
na
1.  Author is a woman Sweet Release by Pamela Clare Yes
02/22
(2 + 4)
6
7.  Author's last name begins with the letters A, B, C, or D. Carnal Gift by Pamela Clare Yes
02/24
(2 + 3)
5
12.  Author's last name begins with the letters T, U, V, W, X, Y, or Z. SEAL for Her Protection by Paige Tyler Yes
02/27
(2 + 4)
6
18. Set in a school Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger Yes



No comments:

Post a Comment