Tuesday, March 19, 2019

BookLikes Snakes and Ladders | Dice Roll #9 & #10

So while The Dragon and the Pearl was a fairly short book, it took a bit longer to read than I had thought it would.  Of course, this has been fairly routine for me these days, and unless I get a full day or two to myself, I rarely inhale books as quickly as I used to anymore.

Which is fine since I've been doing a lot of other non-bookish activities, as I've mentioned a couple times before.  The real-life socializing stuff came to an end, though, so that gave me a little bit more hours to do some serious reading.  =P  Between a good friend flying into town to visit, and taking my parents shopping for formal wear for my brother's wedding, it had been an overall great weekend!

And now onto the next dice roll!



BookLikes Snakes and Ladders


I'm progressing quite well up the board, I think, and having only hit one snake so far (a fairly harmless one, at that), I think my luck is at least holding.

My next roll got me a 7, which lands me on Square 59: ' Was published more than 10 years ago.'  For this book, I am utilizing the last book I've got hoarded for future use, Ride the Fire by Pamela Clare, which was published back in 2005, a good fourteen years ago.


Onward and upward!  With that square fulfilled, I went ahead and rolled once more and got another 7... with the same combination of numbers.  Interesting...  This took me to Square 66: 'Part of a series that is more than 10 books long.'


So this particular prompt took a little more research than I would have liked, but I came up with several options I haven't quite decided on yet.  My biggest requirement was that I wanted to stick to my Reading Assignment Challenge needs.  I've already read the one Professor Mix-It-Up book for this month.  And Professor AuthorLuv won't work either because Amanda Quick only has one long running 10+ book series, and I've already finished it.  So I did a cursory search for Historical fiction to satisfy the Professor Genre course, and it wasn't hard to find a bunch of historical mysteries ranging past 10 books.


The hard part was choosing which book I wanted to read, so I had to resort to a book draw after narrowing down to three possibilities:  Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters, The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry, and Murder on Astor Place by Victoria Thompson.  I had also briefly considered reading the next historical romance in the Maiden Lane series by Elizabeth Hoyt, but decided against it, on account of I was feeling more interested in the above three.

Using my all-purpose monkey post-its (not pictured here, sorry, maybe next time because I'm too lazy), I ended up choosing Murder on Astor Place.  This seems like an interesting historical/cozy mystery, set during "turn-of-the-century New York," which will be a new experience for me in the Historical fiction department.  If it turns out good, I'll have another series on my reading list to read from!


Currently Reading




Books Read Pending Square Selection


Nothing here!


My Progress


Dates for each dice roll corresponds with respective update post.
Book titles link to reviews if written.
Completed books' covers (read and used for squares) following table.

Date Dice Roll Square/Prompt Book Title / Author Fits Square?
02/20
na
1.  Author is a woman Sweet Release by Pamela Clare Yes
02/22 (#1)
(2 + 4)
6
7.  Author's last name begins with the letters A, B, C, or D. Carnal Gift by Pamela Clare Yes
02/24 (#2)
(2 + 3)
5
12.  Author's last name begins with the letters T, U, V, W, X, Y, or Z. SEAL for Her Protection by Paige Tyler Yes
02/27 (#3)
(2 + 4)
6
18.  Set in a school Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger Yes
03/09 (#4)
(4 + 5)
9
27.  Set during WWI or WWII Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld Yes
03/12 (#5)
(5 + 6)
11
38.  Newest release by a favorite author Untouchable by Jayne Ann Krentz Yes
03/12 (#6) (3 + 5)
8
46.  A book that has been on your tbr for more than two years Slightly Shady by Amanda Quick Yes
03/16 (#7)
(5 + 6)
11
57.  Was published more than 50 years ago Thunder on the Right by Mary Stewart Yes
03/16 (#8)
(4 + 4)
8
65. Snake - go back to 52 n/a n/a
03/16
snake
52.  Has a tree or flower on the cover The Dragon and the Pearl by Jeannie Lin Yes
03/19 (#9)
(2 + 5)
7
59.  Was published more than 10 years ago Ride the Fire by Pamela Clare Yes
03/19 (#10)
(2 + 5)
7
66.  Part of a series that is more than 10 books long Murder on Astor Place by Victoria Thompson Yes
TBA
TBA
TBA
TBA



No comments:

Post a Comment