Sunday, March 24, 2019

BookLikes Snakes and Ladders | Dice Roll #11

So there was more socializing had with my Dad's birthday and my brother driving into town to be here for it.  But really, the socializing is a bit more minimal compared to socializing with friends (last weekend), since my brothers and I are people of few words.  Nonetheless, that means that I, once again, took my sweet time reading a book that shouldn't have taken that much time to read.

No matter, though!  Once I got into it, it was a breeze through and now we're onto the next roll.



BookLikes Snakes and Ladders


Dice Roll #11 got me a simple 3, which took me to Square #69: 'Something related to travel on the cover.'


In keeping with my Historical fiction requirements, this particular square's prompt took a bit of research, as I had to round up a bunch of books on several lists, look for anything historical, and then decide whether or not the cover felt like it pertained to travel.  The unfortunate news is that I had little luck, really only finding about three books that would fit the bill.  Mind you, this was also a filtered list of books I was personally interested in as well.  (This also doesn't include books I'd originally planned on reading for Reading Assignment this month, but I'm flexible and now plans are changing...)

On the amusingly positive side of things, in doing my search, I ended up adding about a million more historical mystery series to my TBR...


I finally decided on A Most Extraordinary Pursuit by Juliana Gray.  The other books I'd considered were This Side of Murder by Anna Lee Huber, and Murder on the Lusitania by Conrad Allen, one of which was not immediately accessible to me.  Like A Most Extraordinary Pursuit, the cover for This Side of Murder features a woman with a suitcase, looking as if she's waiting on a ship or something... at least that's how I'm seeing it.  And Murder on the Lusitania is pretty self-explanatory (not that the other two aren't), what with it's bit ship and all.  It's just a little harder to see the suitcase in Huber's book's cover.  Oh yes, but all three book covers have ships, which are pretty much a travel thing.

Anyway, it is entirely possible that I may end up reading Huber's book, though, as I already know I like her writing style... and also because there is a prequel novella that precedes A Most Extraordinary Pursuit (chronologically and by publication date), and I'm loathe to read books out of order (even novellas).  Although, on the other hand, as a novella, I may give it a pass until I can get a hold of it, since it is also a book not readily accessible to me.  It wouldn't be the first time I'd done so, and according to sources, the prequel novella doesn't really contribute to this first book in the series.

Decisions, decisions...


Currently Reading




Books Read Pending Square Selection


Nothing here!


My Progress


Dates for each dice roll corresponds with respective update post.
Book titles link to reviews if written.
Completed books' covers (read and used for squares) following table.

Date Dice Roll Square/Prompt Book Title / Author Fits Square?
02/20
na
1.  Author is a woman Sweet Release by Pamela Clare Yes
02/22 (#1)
(2 + 4)
6
7.  Author's last name begins with the letters A, B, C, or D. Carnal Gift by Pamela Clare Yes
02/24 (#2)
(2 + 3)
5
12.  Author's last name begins with the letters T, U, V, W, X, Y, or Z. SEAL for Her Protection by Paige Tyler Yes
02/27 (#3)
(2 + 4)
6
18.  Set in a school Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger Yes
03/09 (#4)
(4 + 5)
9
27.  Set during WWI or WWII Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld Yes
03/12 (#5)
(5 + 6)
11
38.  Newest release by a favorite author Untouchable by Jayne Ann Krentz Yes
03/12 (#6) (3 + 5)
8
46.  A book that has been on your tbr for more than two years Slightly Shady by Amanda Quick Yes
03/16 (#7)
(5 + 6)
11
57.  Was published more than 50 years ago Thunder on the Right by Mary Stewart Yes
03/16 (#8)
(4 + 4)
8
65. Snake - go back to 52 n/a n/a
03/16
snake
52.  Has a tree or flower on the cover The Dragon and the Pearl by Jeannie Lin Yes
03/19 (#9)
(2 + 5)
7
59.  Was published more than 10 years ago Ride the Fire by Pamela Clare Yes
03/19 (#10)
(2 + 5)
7
66.  Part of a series that is more than 10 books long Murder on Astor Place by Victoria Thompson Yes
03/24 (#11)
(1 + 2)
3
69.  Something related to travel on the cover A Most Extraordinary Pursuit by Julana Gray Yes
TBA
TBA



No comments:

Post a Comment