Sunday, May 12, 2019

BookLikes Snakes and Ladders | Dice Roll #19 & #20

It's Mother's Day, and I stayed up way too late reading so that I could finish my most recent Snakes and Ladders book, The Other Side of Midnight by Simone St. James.  Fortunately, all the ghostly, creepy stuff in the book were more towards the middle and beginning, because I was slight bit worried I'd start having creepy, ghostly nightmares.

Our family celebrated Mother's Day a couple days early, if only because everyone was going to be busy with work obligations today, except myself and my mothers.  So Mom and I are probably going to spend most of the day baking (after I get this post up, of course), or making use of the brand new air fryer we got her as a Mother's Day gift.  She was so super pumped to use the thing that she had already started slicing up potatoes for french fries before I even had the air fryer installed for her.

This fun new gadget is quite lovely.  I even made candied bacon with it and was very happy.  Mom is looking forward to trying other recipes, such as chicken wings and the like.  And our air fryer can even be used to dehydrate fruits, so she's looking forward to doing that as well.

All-in-all, quite a well-spent weekend.



BookLikes Snakes and Ladders


With a few weeks left until this game is officially called to an end, in light of all the BL-opoly excitement, I'm hoping I'll make it to the end of the board by then.  At the very least, I also need to get my current reads finished so that I can be ready to hop into the next game.

Meanwhile, my next roll came about quite nicely:


Rolling a 4, I landed on Square 73: Categorized as YA.  This is an excellent stroke of luck since I now get to use one of my hoarded books to fill in this square.  Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld, will fit in just fine!

My next roll was only less aligned with my luck, but at least it's not another snake, so I'm not complaining.


I rolled a 9 and landed on Square 82: Genre: urban fantasy.  I don't have a hoarded book for this square, since my reads lately have been historical romance, historical mystery, and some nonfictional work.  So after a bit of a search, I'd considered briefly books such as the next in the Incryptid series by Seanan McGuire, or maybe even Storm Front by Jim Butcher, or some other popular urban fantasy series out there.  But then I came across a Kindle freebie by Alisa Woods I recently acquired, and decided to give it a go.  It sounded interesting enough, involving magic users, witches, and an undercover FBI agent with "monstrous powers", as well as some sort of investigation of a street drug laced with something called magick.

I've enjoyed a few books by Alisa Woods in the past, so let's see how this goes!


Currently Reading




Books Hoarded Read For Future Square Use




My Progress


Dates for each dice roll corresponds with respective update post.
Book titles link to reviews if written.
Completed books' covers (read and used for squares) following table.

Date Dice Roll Square/Prompt Book Title / Author Fits Square?
02/20
na
1.  Author is a woman Sweet Release by Pamela Clare Yes
02/22 (#1)
(2 + 4)
6
7.  Author's last name begins with the letters A, B, C, or D. Carnal Gift by Pamela Clare Yes
02/24 (#2)
(2 + 3)
5
12.  Author's last name begins with the letters T, U, V, W, X, Y, or Z. SEAL for Her Protection by Paige Tyler Yes
02/27 (#3)
(2 + 4)
6
18.  Set in a school Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger Yes
03/09 (#4)
(4 + 5)
9
27.  Set during WWI or WWII Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld Yes
03/12 (#5)
(5 + 6)
11
38.  Newest release by a favorite author Untouchable by Jayne Ann Krentz Yes
03/12 (#6) (3 + 5)
8
46.  A book that has been on your tbr for more than two years Slightly Shady by Amanda Quick Yes
03/16 (#7)
(5 + 6)
11
57.  Was published more than 50 years ago Thunder on the Right by Mary Stewart Yes
03/16 (#8)
(4 + 4)
8
65. Snake - go back to 52 n/a n/a
03/16
snake
52.  Has a tree or flower on the cover The Dragon and the Pearl by Jeannie Lin Yes
03/19 (#9)
(2 + 5)
7
59.  Was published more than 10 years ago Ride the Fire by Pamela Clare Yes
03/19 (#10)
(2 + 5)
7
66.  Part of a series that is more than 10 books long Murder on Astor Place by Victoria Thompson Yes
03/24 (#11)
(1 + 2)
3
69.  Something related to travel on the cover A Most Extraordinary Pursuit by Julana Gray Yes
03/30 (#12)
(4 + 6)
10
79.  Main character is a woman Don't Look Back by Amanda Quick Yes
03/31 (#13)
(3 + 5)
8
87.  Snake - go back to 57 n/a n/a
03/31
snake
57.  Was published more than 50 years ago The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy Yes
4/28 (#14)
(3 + 6)
9
66.  Part of a series that is more than 10 books long Mort by Terry Pratchett Yes
4/28 (#15)
(4 + 5)
9
75.  Set in a fantasy world Wild Country by Anne Bishop Yes
4/28 (#16)
(3 + 3)
6
81.  Ghost story An Inquiry into Love and Death by Simone St. James Yes
5/5 (#17)
(2 + 6)
8
89.  Published between 2000 and 2017 Late for the Wedding by Amanda Quick Yes
5/5 (#18)
(4 + 6)
10
99.  Snake - go back to 69 n/a n/a
5/5
snake
69.  Something related to travel on the cover The Other Side of Midnight by Simone St. James Yes
5/12 (#19)
(2 + 2)
4
73.  Categorized as YA Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld Yes
5/12 (#20)
(3 + 6)
9
82.  Genre: urban fantasy Ever Strange by Alisa Woods Yes
TBA
TBA
TBA
TBA



No comments:

Post a Comment