Friday, June 29, 2018

Thoughts: The Jayne Ann Krentz Reading Phase (Part 1)

To start off, this is sort of a bundled, package review... but sort of not...

I've been spending a lot of time in a reading slump, barely finishing a book in one month, and dragging out another book in yet another month.  Then I decided to just read what I felt like reading, whenever I felt like reading, and somehow I ended up just picking up one Jayne Ann Krentz book after another.  It helps that I'm a fan.

And then I couldn't really come up with much to say about each book without being repetitive about it, because, let's be honest, most Jayne Ann Krentz books tend to have the same formula, no matter how hard you try to see otherwise.

But that's what makes me keep coming back to Krentz.  She uses the same formula, but it's a formula I enjoy, and it's a formula I know I'll like, and it's a formula that just gives me a pleasant, satisfied warmth at the end of the day.

And sometimes, that's all you need.



  • Trust No One | Goodreads | Rating:  3.0 Stars
  • When All the Girls Have Gone | Goodreads | Rating:  3.5 Stars
    • Book 1 of Cutler, Sutter & Salinas
  • Smoke In Mirrors | Goodreads | Rating:  4.0 Stars

As much as I love reading Krentz, I couldn't help but notice some of the similarities between character creation in Trust No One and When All the Girls Have Gone.  And maybe even Smoke In Mirrors.  Our heroine is a health nut with a dinner menu consisting of organic everything--all three of the heroines in these books have that same trait.  I'm not saying it's a bad trait, but it makes for interesting comparison, as well as proves that JAK will sometimes use the same formula for most of her books.

There are a couple other things similar between Trust No One and When All the Girls Have Gone, but that gets into the mystery/suspense part of the book... and I don't want to give anything away.

Meanwhile, characters are great, although Smoke In Mirrors by far, had the best dialogue between our characters.  And probably the most interesting heroine.



  • Secret Sisters | Goodreads | Rating:  4.0 Stars
  • River Road | Goodreads | Rating:  4.0 Stars
  • Falling Awake | Goodreads | Rating:  4.0 Stars

Secret Sisters was lots of fun, in spite of the heavy content involved.  Do I remember anything about it?  Maybe.  I remember the hotel, the main conflict/mystery.  I don't remember much about the main heroes, because they didn't stand out much.  In fact, our main hero seemed to have some character traits similar to the hero in River Road.  I can say that I DID love the friendship and interaction between our heroine and her secret sister in Secret Sisters--that made for heart-warming reading.

And I found the comment about "six degrees of separation" mentioned in River Road quite apt for describing JAK books... in a way.  And it doesn't escape my notice that there are some drug-related criminal elements being bandied around in few of her books as well--this particular plot device popped up in both Secret Sisters and River Road.

Falling Awake was fun and intriguing, and I found the lucid dreaming story line quite promising; although, I must admit, it was a little hard trying to figure out how far into the paranormal JAK was trying to go.  And a few things were a little muddled, but all around, it was an entertaining read.

Oh yes, and Falling Awake boasted another heroine with a health-centric, organic diet--soy sausages were mentioned.


No comments:

Post a Comment