Sunday, October 22, 2017

Short Review: Better Read Than Dead

Better Read Than Dead

by Victoria Laurie
Book 2 of Psychic Eye Mystery

~ Goodreads ~

Rating:  3.0 Stars

Word of Abby's talents reading tarot cards has reached a mob boss who wants her help in some business matters and he doesn't take no for an answer.  When the police seek out her psychic intuition to shed light on a masked man who's been attacking women, Abby finds herself working both sides of the law on her own, leading her to wonder, why didn't I see this coming?


Much like the first book, this one was fairly enjoyable, and a little more action-packed and intense than the first one.  Also, the mystery was a little bit more twisty-turny (I know that's not a word) than the one from the first book.

I may not like every logic and detail that Abby seems to live by, but for the sheer sake of entertainment, I'm just going to overlook those few frustrating moments I had with her.  Especially since the pacing was so fast that I didn't have time to really think about what I didn't like.  That's a good thing, because when I nit-pick, it gets personal.  And I don't make it my life's work to ALWAYS nit-pick a book to death -- It's not like I go into a book thinking "What can I find wrong with this?"  I've only done that once, and it wasn't pretty at all, and made ME miserable and upset.

But anyway, back to Better Read Than Dead:

Fun and entertaining.  I still really love Abby's tone and voice, and I especially love her no-nonsense attitude.  And the mystery was intriguing.  I still have a bone to pick with Dutch Rivers though and am still far from accepting him as good main love interest material.  There are certain things I don't agree with concerning his behavior towards with Abby, but I'm not certain I can actually pinpoint what it is.

Cat got slightly annoying in this one; something I hadn't expected.  And other characters are still pretty consistent.  I like the silent, companionship between Abby and Milo as friends; awesome interaction there.

Otherwise, this was a fast-paced and fun read, so kudos on that!


This review was originally posted at Goodreads in September 2013.




No comments:

Post a Comment