Sunday, March 20, 2016

Short Review: How To Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting To Kill You

How To Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting To Kill You

by Matthew Inman (a.k.a. The Oatmeal)

Goodreads ~

Rating:  3.0 Stars


I got interested in this cute little picture book because of the "How To Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting To Kill You" poster I found on Pinterest that probably came from this book. It was cute and funny, especially since one of my best friends and I are always joking about how her cats are trying to kill her, but choose not to do so since that would mean they have no slave to boss around.

So instead, they choose to torture her by making her life miserable:

You know, sitting on her nice clean clothes the moment they come out of the dryer; rub against her perfect outfit the moment she's ready to leave the house; batting cat litter all over her floor immediately after she mops; planting their lazy butts on her (and her guests') laps with no regard to the fact that we might have to get up and pee soon; and generally spying at her from the top of shelves and giving her guests a heck of a heart attack by darting out of the room, or in front of a walking person's path.

Yes, we love her cats, but we still think they're evil. It's a nice little twisted world out there.

So when I saw this book, I thought it might be cute to check it out. I even contemplated buying it as a gift for her... (in fact, I still might). But I found this as a library check out e-book, so decided to check it out for free.

The stuff in here was generally humorous, amusing... some of it was laugh-out-loud funny. Some of it, however, I kind of rolled my eyes at. The Bob series was a little... well, again, some of it was funny and the rest of it was kind of meh. And then some of it was kind of disconcerting rather than tastefully offensive.

But that's the whole point of humor anyway, right? You can't always make everyone laugh and you can't always please everyone. And not everyone understands what you find funny while at the same time, you don't always find what others find funny... well, funny. Case in point: I have a dry sense of humor (which probably doesn't show much of the time) that I feel no one understands, save for some friends who are just as corny as I am.

Nonetheless, I would give this a "This was cute and funny" rating. In other words, 3 stars cause I liked it, but not much more than that.



This review was originally posted at Goodreads in May 2013.



No comments:

Post a Comment