Saturday, July 2, 2016

My TBR List -- July 2016 Voting


My TBR List is a monthly meme hosted by Michelle @ Because Reading.
The basic gist of this activity is to have others help decide on which book out of three I'm selecting from my TBR pile I should read for the month via votes.  The posts will be published on the first two Saturdays (voting and winning book announcement, respectively), and the winning book review will be posted on the last Saturday of the month.
Click on the above links for more information.



This month I decided to recycle some books from previous My TBR List months (and yes, two of them are from last month's voting).  As I have several books that need reading for my 2016 Reading Assignment Challenge, and since I always have a hard time figuring out which book to read for which month first, why not continue making use of the My TBR List voting to figure out what to read from this list?

So this month will be the July Reading Assignment edition!

Thanks for voting!

The Books



The Hanover Square Affair by Ashley Gardner
-- Book 1 of Captain Lacey Mystery series
London, 1816
Cavalry captain Gabriel Lacey returns to Regency London from the Napoleonic wars, burned out, fighting melancholia, his career ended. His interest is perked when he learns of a missing girl, possibly kidnapped by a prominent member of Parliament. Lacey's search for the girl leads to the discovery of murder, corruption, and dealings with a leader of the underworld. He faces his own disorientation transitioning from a soldier's life to the civilian world at the same time, redefining his role with his former commanding officer and making new friends--from the top of society to the street girls of Covent Garden.




Icebound by Dean Koontz
The arctic night is endless. The fear is numbing. Screams freeze in the throat. Death arrives in shades of white. Cold-blooded murder seems right at home...

A secret Arctic experiment becomes a frozen nightmare, when a team of scientists are set adrift on an iceberg--with a murderer in their midst, and a massive explosive charge only hours away from detonation.



Un Lun Dun by China Miéville
What is Un Lun Dun?

It is London through the looking glass, an urban Wonderland of strange delights where all the lost and broken things of London end up . . . and some of its lost and broken people, too–including Brokkenbroll, boss of the broken umbrellas; Obaday Fing, a tailor whose head is an enormous pin-cushion, and an empty milk carton called Curdle. Un Lun Dun is a place where words are alive, a jungle lurks behind the door of an ordinary house, carnivorous giraffes stalk the streets, and a dark cloud dreams of burning the world. It is a city awaiting its hero, whose coming was prophesied long ago, set down for all time in the pages of a talking book.

When twelve-year-old Zanna and her friend Deeba find a secret entrance leading out of London and into this strange city, it seems that the ancient prophecy is coming true at last. But then things begin to go shockingly wrong.



Let's Vote!

**For BookLikes members reading this in the BookLikes dashboard view:  Click here to generate the voting box on another page if you would like to vote.  I don't know why the voting box doesn't show, though it appears in blog view just fine.

**For everyone else voting via BookLikes blog view or at the Book Abyss's Blogspot home:  You may ignore the above tangent.  The voting box shows just fine.

Again, thank you for stopping by and voting!



Previous My TBR List months at Ani's Book Abyss can be found at the Bookish Memes page.


22 comments:

  1. I totally went with the first book because I love the dress she is wearing!! I mean the blurb sounds good too though :) Enjoy the winner!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D The dress was also one of the things that caught my attention when I first saw the cover. I'm so curious abut this book because I've heard good things about it. Thanks for voting!

      Delete
  2. I went with Icwbound as it looks scary! That hand! Eekk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean Koontz has always delivered, so I'm kind of hoping it'll be as creepy as the cover suggests. lol Even though I'm a fraidy cat. :P Thanks for voting!

      Delete
  3. None of these books look like books I would read, but I hope you enjoy the winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to any of the three books... the the votes look pretty even right now. I'm getting a bit worried, actually. O.o

      Delete
  4. I went with Un Lun Dun. It sounds so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read much childrens, but it DOES sound very interesting. Thanks for voting!

      Delete
  5. I believe I voted for the Hanover last time so I am voting for that again. Whichever one gets picked, I really hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very curious about Hanover and I've been making my way into historical fiction lately, so I'm looking forward to reading it.

      Delete
  6. I voted for Un Lun Dun as it sounded original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound interesting. I'm curious about it, even though I don't really read many childrens books. Thanks for voting!

      Delete
  7. I love Dean Koontz so I voted for that one. Can't wait to see which book wins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean Koontz was always a personal favorite since high school for me as well! I've had this book forever and really need to get to it. I'm sort of hoping it will win... but then again, I'm also wanting to read the other books too. Decisions! So glad for this TBR List meme! Thanks for voting!

      Delete
  8. I voted for Icebound again, because it looks like a cool summer read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been a while since I've read Dean Koontz, but this book has been on my shelf forever and I've been trying to make time to read it. lol

      Delete
  9. How to choose! Go with the author I am familiar with (Dean Koontz--what a great storyteller!) or the prettiest cover or the author I've been meaning to read for ages now? Hmm. They all really should good when it comes down to it. I think I'll vote for Un Lun Dun. I hope you enjoy whichever wins! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is what the TBR List meme is great for, because I couldn't decide for myself which book to go for first. haha Dean Koontz is, indeed, a great storyteller and has been a personal favorite since my high school days. But Hanover has such a pretty cover and I've been getting into historical fiction lately. Then China Mieville has been an author I've always wondered about. Yikes!

      Delete
  10. I voted for Hanover Square because of the three, it's more my genre. Koontz is good - I've read one of his books - but horror is hard for me. Lol! Enjoy whichever wins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for voting! I'm the same way about Koontz--I used to love reading him, but I'm not into horror anymore, so I have to read his books sparingly. lol

      Delete
  11. I went with the Hanover Square, I just liked the sound of it! Enjoy your winning book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been reading a lot of historical fiction lately and am looking forward to this one.

      Delete