Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Brief Thoughts: Obsidian Prey

Obsidian Prey

by Jayne Castle
Book 6 of Harmony

~ Goodreads ~

Rating:  3.5 Stars

Amber tuner and independent prospector Lyra Dore lost her heart—and her discovery of a rare amethyst ruin—to cutthroat businessman Cruz Sweetwater.  At least she had her artistically talented dust-bunny to comfort her…

But the ruin’s mysterious power has put everyone involved with the project in danger.  And only by trusting their psychic instincts will Cruz and Lyra survive— and surrender to the desire that binds them.


As has been with all of Jayne Castle (Jayne Ann Krentz)'s Harmony books, I immensely enjoyed Obsidian Prey.  The writing style is smooth and easy to read, the story line is straight forward, the progression is fast-paced, and the characters are fun.

I love me some dust bunnies!  They are my mascot and I really, really want to create a stuffed dust bunny of my own!  Although, while I DID love our resident dust bunny in this book, I can't say that Vincent really stood out from the other dust bunnies from previous books.  HOWEVER, I do love that each of our bunnies has their own unique style and personality; the entire world of Harmony is like a playground to them.

I enjoyed the entire "Dust bunny as mysterious, new, and celebrated artist" thing going in this book.  I thought it was adorable.

Our human characters, however, were less relatable.  Lyra was standard--feisty, stubborn, etc....  I DID like the whole "Dore luck" thing, because it reflects life so well.  Cruz was standard--broody, alpha, stubborn, demanding... etc....  But there really wasn't much about him that I did like, even if the whole "Sweetwaters take their romance very seriously" thing was kind of intriguing, if also kind of tacky.  Because Cruz was kind of a jackass in the beginning, and even as the story progressed, he didn't really stop being a jackass, he just managed to add some charm into his jackass personality.

I liked the other young Sweetwater male we get to meet, Jeff, a whole lot more; he who wants to quit the family business and be part of real law enforcement so he can help fight for the little people--the people who can't afford major security companies like Amber Inc., run by the Sweetwaters, geared towards the wealthy.

I like every time we uncover continued connections between Arcane Society and Harmony.  I like the new developments of different paranormal talents.

The suspense part of the book--mysterious hallucinations, a murder in the background, stolen artifacts, hired thugs--were a little lacking, I felt.  The romance was also a bit lukewarm, compared to previous romances in this series.

And, really that's all I can come up with.  It's not a memorable book, truth be told, though it was an enjoyable one while it lasted.


***

Booklikes-opoly

Roll #14: (See Also: Memorial Weekend Extra Roll Activities)
This book it tagged 'science fiction' on GR.

Page Count:  351
Cash Award:  +$3.00

Updated Bank Balance:  $64.00


No comments:

Post a Comment