Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Pre-Review Thoughts: The Splendour Falls

The Splendour Falls

by Susanna Kearsley
narrated by Barbara Rosenblat

~ Goodreads ~

Rating:  2.0 Stars


I have been enjoying Susanna Kearsley as far as the only couple other books I've read by her, so it was probably inevitable that I'd come across a disappointment--I just hadn't expected it so early on.  The Splendour Falls dragged something awful, and the truth is, the actual story's conflict doesn't even quite surface until about 8 hours into the audio book; 8 hours out of a 12 hour audio book.

As I had had a good impression of Kearsley since the first book I'd read, I'm hoping the next one will be a bit better.  I've noted that The Splendour Falls is apparently NOT her best work, and there's a general consensus that it might even be one of her lesser novels.  The book is still beautifully written, with lovely characters whom, while abundant and sometimes hard to keep track of, sort of came alive.  Except for our main heroine, Emily... she continued to be the boring speshul snowflake and I had a hard time relating to her.

I will have a full review out soon.





Halloween Bingo 2018
(a genre or mode of literature and film that combines fiction and horror, death, and at times romance)


No comments:

Post a Comment