Basically, that means I don't really have any significant ramblings for this wrap up. Books were read, and books will be read. That's pretty much it for August.
Books Dropped/Put On Hold
None this month! Yay!
August Reading StatsTotal works read: 7
- 6 print/e-book novels
- 1 audio books
Average rating: 3.50 Stars
- Highest Rated: 2 books // 4.0 Stars
- (1) Holding On by Pamela Clare
- (2) Lake Silence by Anne Bishop
- Lowest Rated: Borrower of the Night by Elizabeth Peters // 3.0 Stars
Series I started reading:
- Vicky Bliss by Elizabeth Peters
- Shades of London by Maureen Johnson
- Colorado High Country by Pamela Clare
- Burning Cove by Amanda Quick
- Haruhi Suzumiya by Nagaru Tanigawa
- The Liar's Club by Celeste Bradley
- The Others by Anne Bishop
Favorite reads: The month of August was a fairly average to good month in terms of books I liked. I particularly loved Pamela Clare's newest release, Holding On, which did manage to dial down the schmaltz this time--really, Pamela has great writing and stories and is typically only overburdened by her tendency to overdo schmaltz as well as some overuse of exposition fairies at certain points of her books. Otherwise, I really love her work. The other book I loved was Lake Silence, which I'm counting even though I'd already read the first half months ago. For the life of me, though, I'm not sure why I love the books in The Others series aside from some strange sense of endearment that can't be explained.
Disappointing reads: I was a bit disappointed that I didn't like Borrower of the Night more than I thought I would. Amanda Quick's The Other Lady Vanishes is also a conflicting one for me, as I DID enjoy it up until the end.
Reviews & Notable Posts
- Jayne Ann Krentz random books
- Lost & Found
- Twist of Fate
- All Night Long
- The Private Eye
- Grand Passion
- Absolutely, Positively
- Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder | Review transfer
- Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder | Review transfer
- Fire Study by Maria V. Snyder | Review transfer
- Elantris by Brandon Sanderson | Review transfer
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle | Review transfer
- Holding On by Pamela Clare
- The Other Lady Vanishes by Amanda Quick
- Glass series by Maria V. Snyder | Review transfer
- Taste of Darkness by Maria V. Snyder | Review transfer
- Borrower of the Night by Elizabeth Peters
- The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya
- It's Monday! What Are You Reading? | 8/6/2018
- It's Monday! Halloween Bingo Pre-Read is a Go! | 08/27/2018
- Halloween Bingo 2018 | Ani's Tentative Reading List
- Flat Book Society | September 2018 Read
- Halloween Bingo Randomness
- Halloween Bingo 2018 | Take Your Head Start!
- First Impression: The Name of the Star
Coming Up In September
Other StuffReiterating my intro from the beginning of this post... I don't really have much to write about since I'd forgotten to even put together a wrap up.
So, in a nutshell, Halloween Bingo 2018 has kicked off and I'm a bit behind in comparison to the three to five books a lot of the other Booklikers seem to be managing already, only four days into the month. I didn't even finish my Halloween Bingo pre-read, though I DID manage to finish one book for Bingo so far. And also, I somehow managed to start three other books, only two of which are actually for Bingo, because the fourth book is part of the Liar's Club series, which I'm determined to finish so I can wrap up that series and focus solely on Halloween Bingo books.
Meanwhile, I still haven't decided how I want to mark my card, nor have I decided how frequently I want to update. I guess I just need to play it by ear and just stop stressing about it. I need to remind myself that 2018 is the Laid Back Reading Year, where pre-planning and finishing challenges are supposed to be optional.
2018 Wrap-UpsPast Monthly Reading Wrap Ups (2016 / 2017)
See Also: 2015 Reading Wrap-Up posts (scroll to bottom of page)
(updated as year progresses by month)
January | February | March | April | May | June
July | August | September | October | November | December