Monday, May 27, 2019

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? | 5/27/2019

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a place to meet up and share what you have been, are and about to be reading over the week.  It's a great post to organise yourself.  It's an opportunity to visit and comment, and er... add to that ever growing TBR pile!  So welcome in everyone.  This meme started with J Kaye's Blog and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey.  Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at the Book Date.  And here we are!


Memorial Day weekend was indeed a nice, productive one, with the announcement of extra bonus rolls for Booklikes-opoly, a lot of reading getting done, some family socializing, and the works.  Unfortunately, the weekend was also muggy and rainy, which apparently caused some problems for some around the city (my co-worker's basement flooded).

On the other hand, rainy days make great reading and blogging days...  And so couple days back, I went shopping amid the rest of the crowds shopping for the long weekend, because I had a hankering for Spicy Corn Dip to go with my weekend reading.  My coworkers have brought this particular recipe into work twice, and while one of the times, the Corn Dip was just the plain ol' non-spicy version, the other time there was a nice kick that I was quite ecstatic about.

The Spicy Corn Dip I ended up making is based off of the combination of two different recipes:
-- Greek Yogurt Spicy Corn Dip @ With Salt & Wit
-- My coworker's very simple recipe consisting of: 1 cup mayo, 1 cup sour cream, 1 can Mexicorn (drained), 1 can Rotel (drained), and 1 cup shredded cheddar

I had intended on making the Greek Yogurt version, but decided to try my hand at my coworker's version first, just to make sure I did it right.  Unfortunately, either I did not drain the Rotel and Mexicorn well enough, or I added too much sour cream, but the final product came out kind of watered down.  I finally got it to taste better by adding more cheddar to it.  In the meantime, to make it a spicy corn dip, I included the addition of cumin, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes.


Sprinkle a little cheese on top, and here you have a nice bit of Spicy Corn Dip that actually came out quite nice, if I do say so myself!  Unfortunately, the picture doesn't really do the dip any justice, as you probably cannot even tell that there's corn in it...

But I promise, this is what I actually started with:


And the end product tasted mighty good.

Overnight, the dip came out even better, which means that I need to keep in mind that (as I now recall having read somewhere) the spices and ingredients need to be given a chance to blend for some time before serving... so maybe next time I'll hold off on adding more cheddar until I've refrigerated it for a bit.  But I was just all about wanting the dip right at that moment.


You can definitely see the corn better in this final photo of the corn dip after having let it sit in the fridge overnight.  Add to it a little more spices, and I'm a happy corn dip dipping reader with a yummy snack!

I decided that I'm going to have to cut the mayo and sour cream portions down a bit.  Although next time, I'm going to try the recipe with Greek Yogurt as the substitute anyway, just to see how it comes out.


And now back to our regularly scheduled bookish meme...  =P

With Booklikes-opoly starting up, reading has become just a bit more exciting, and I'm so ready to finish read my current books so I can move onto the next dice roll.  After all, it's really the activity of choosing my next book based on square prompts that gets me all giddy.  =P  And yes, I DO enjoy reading the books as well, but that anticipation of the next dice roll?  Oh yeah, so much fun!


What I Read Last Week





What I'm Currently Reading




What I'm Planning to Read Next




Other Plans On the Blog


Unless I end up bogged down for days with one book or another, my activity level on the blog will be quite increased.  With BL-opoly ongoing, there will definitely be update posts, and hopefully reviews aplenty to keep things flowing.

I've got two reviews in particular that need a final read through, then I'll be posting them, probably within the next day or two (or even today!).

I'm sort of reserving the reading of I Contain Multitudes for the between BL-opoly books read... you know, in case I'm ever so productive as to finish my books before my next allowed roll date.

As for 'next reads', well, we're going to let the BL-opoly gods guide my reading schedule for the time being, so the only books I know for sure I'll be reading within the next month are the three listed above.  A Grave Matter will be one of my BL-opoly books, and the other two are books I've got pre-planned for June reading and will try to slip into the "schedule" when possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment