Monday, December 17, 2018

24 Festive Task | Door 18: Winter Solstice / Yuletide



(December 21)


Updates


12/17/2018:  Three out of four non-book tasks is fine by me, plus the book task, gives me four points for this square!  Woot!


Task 1


Bibliomancy: Grab one of your larger books and flip to the indicated page and line number to answer the following questions - then post those answers for us:
-- COMPLETED 12/17/2018 --

I've got several huge tomes sitting on the shelf next to my desk, but the closest one was The Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe, a large collection of short stories and poems.  I think this one will work just fine!

It's either this one or Lord of the Rings, and I'm not feeling like cracking that one open...


A. Will I read all the books on my TBR? (page 378, line 29)

"...followed him immediately upon securing the object in view."
-- from The Purloined Letter

I'm going to take this as a good sign...


B. Will any of my 2019 reads be 5 stars? (page 227, line 31)

"...the fate of the Ourang-Outang.  The words heard by the party upon..."
-- from The Murders on the Rue Morgue

The fate of the Ourang-Outang, huh?  I don't recall the ape's fate being all that great, but I could be wrong.  Maybe there's another interpretation for this.


C. Will I discover a new favorite book / author / series? (page 309, line 23)

"...with a presentiment of some vast good fortune impending."
-- from The Gold Bug

Ooh!  This sounds promising!


D. Will I discover that a major twist (hopefully, for the [even] better) has occurred in one of my favorite series? (page 459, line 16)

"Augustus led the way to the wharf, and I followed at a little distance,"
-- from The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym

Who is Augustus and will he be leading me towards major story plot twists for the better?  (Note: I have not read this one yet, so I could probably benefit from some context.)


E. Will I finish all of my reading challenges in 2019? (page 69, line 7)

"...admiration of their eloquent madness, but from the ease with which my..."
-- from MS. Found in a Bottle

I have a feeling this means I probably shouldn't participate in too many challenges?


F. Will I stay within my book budget in 2019? (page 98, line 5)

"...I have derived a type of unloveliness?--from the covenant of peace,"
-- from Berenice

I take that as a resounding 'no.'  O.o


Task 2


Tell us: What book did you read this year that felt like it was never going to end?
-- COMPLETED 12/17/2018 --


Definitely this one.  This the first book that came to mind, because I DO honestly recall wondering to myself on a few occasions how much more I had to read until the end.  There have been other books I'd read that were probably worse than this one, but some of those were easily breezed through.

This one DEFINITELY felt like it was going on forever.


Task 3


Round up a herd of reindeer on book covers and in book illustrations.
-- COMPLETED 12/17/2018 --


Okie-doke!  We've got our reindeer herded up and ready to go looking for that Missing Reindeer with Olive the Other Reindeer leading the way...  Except the Little Reindeer--why aren't you harnessed up?  And Roger the Reindeer?  What are you doing?


Task 4


Treat yourself to a bûche de Noel (French Yule log cake) – if you want to try and make it yourself, see recipe here: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/buche-de-noel-recipe.
-- SKIP --

For reasons, this will probably be a skip.  Though I DID buy my parents a Yule log a few years back from one of my favorite local bakeries.  And there's a tangent during my high school years wherein my BFF and I tried to make a Yule log for her French class.  I admit, it didn't come out looking quite like what we'd intended, but apparently her classmates weren't as nice about their criticisms, straight out asking her if it was even edible.

Okay... maybe it looked a bit mushy...


Book Task


Read any book that takes place in December; OR with ice or snow on the cover; OR that revolves around the (summer or winter) equinox; OR a collection of poetry by Hafez
-- COMPLETED 11/17/2018 --


This was a crap book, but it fit in that it was set during December.  I read it earlier in November and so claiming it for this door.  But otherwise, that's all I have to say.  Here's my review.


No comments:

Post a Comment