Saturday, June 29, 2019

Booklikes-opoly 2019 | Roll #12

Booklikes-opoly
@ Booklikes, the book blogging social platform


This BL-opoly update is brought to you by "Two Sleepy Puppers at the Top of the Stairs."


I'm not sure what they've been doing, but they look wiped!  And excuse the weird lighting.

Moving along...

For my previous roll, I read the last Circle of Evil book, Facing Evil, by Kylie Brant, which was 314 pages, gaining me $3 to add to my bank.  A rather mediocre read, but still enjoyable.  A series review will be forthcoming when the busy quiets down a little bit.

I ended up finishing this book mere minutes before midnight on 6/28, but being way too tired, I didn't actually roll until this morning (6/29) right before heading to work.  So I've spent most of my day during any dead time at work trying to choose a book.  After a long twelve-hour shift, and some other family stuff, I'm finally able to sit down and put together this update, though the truth is, I really ought to be heading to bed.

Ah well...

So here are the roll details:


I rolled a 6, which landed me on The Summer Blockbuster 25.


After climbing the walls, it looks like Monkey has worn himself out.  Silly Monkey.  So now Magnetic Mouse will be hosting the board in his place while Penni cheers on, and Keychain Puppy... sniffs Monkey's feet, for whatever reason.  Unfortunately, Magnetic Mouse doesn't have as many movable limbs as Monkey does, so Mousey is just going to... well, stick to the board and look important, I guess.


I thought that I would have to pull a novelty card for this square, since I couldn't really think of a book I wanted to read that had been made into a movie or television series.  I had briefly considered listening to The Lost World by Michael Crichton, but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for a reread...

However, it turns out I DO have a few options that I'm considering, after spending most of the day doing some searching.  In fact, all of the below books I've listed, I'm truly interested in reading, and hadn't realized that they were adapted into film and/or television.


I guess that Nora Roberts had had some of her books adapted into Lifetime movies (none of which I've seen), and I'm always up for a Nora Roberts book.  Sanctuary is one of those books adapted to a movie, and also a paperback I already own that's been sitting on my shelf for some time.  It ends at 435 pages, which will get me a $5 reward if I choose to read it.  In truth, I had actually been more interested in either Blue Smoke or Carolina Moon, but neither of those two books are immediately available to me without either spending some money, or running to the library on Monday (since I'm working past the library's open hours this weekend), and I don't want to wait until Monday to choose a book.

A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters, has been adapted into a television series, back in 1994.  I've been considering this book for some time as well, and have heard great things about it.  This book, however, is only 199 pages, which is like, two pages shy of the $3 mark.  Amazon notes the book at 213 pages, but other sources are all listing the paperback versions at either 199 or 197.  I want to read it, but I'm also miffed that after finishing this book, I will only earn $2, when it's so close to the next cash level.

Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood is also a series that's been adapted into a television series, called Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.  This book presents at 185 pages, so would only be $2.

Mindhunter by John Douglas is a true crime book that I've been meaning to read for a long time, and which has been sitting on my bookshelf for a few years.  Apparently, there's a Netflix series based on this book that I didn't know about.  Mindhunter is 384 pages, which would be $3 if I choose to read it.


Well... decisions, decisions... what shall I do?


Novelty Cards Currently In My Pocket




My Progress


Current Bank:  $67
Prison Library Donation:  0 pages
Books Read:  11
Pages Read:  3,658

Table notes:
*Dates link to corresponding dice roll updates / other links for related activities included.
*Book titles link to reviews if written.
*Page/Cash values in parentheses are still pending reads/ not yet cashed out.

Date
(Roll #)
Dice Roll Space/Prompt Book Title / Author Pages Cash
5/20 Game Start $20
#1 5 The Silk Road:
Read a book set in any of the 40 countries along Silk Road, or by an author from any of those countries.
Hard Target by Pamela Clare 261 $3
5/22
#2a 8 Novelty Card Robot -- save for later
(Create a numbered list of ten books, and let a random number generator pick for you)
n/a n/a n/a
#2b 4 Mountain Cabin 16:
Read a book that is considered mystery/suspense genre, or which has a title that contains all of the letters in the word C-A-B-I-N.
Tightrope by Amanda Quick 320 $3
5/25 See Also: Roll #3 and Memorial Day Bonus Roll Activities
#3 5 The Lake House 20:
Read a book that features a dog or which has a dog on the cover; or that is set in an area known for its lakes or on a fictional lake.
Run to Ground by Katie Ruggle312$3
Memorial Day Bonus Rolls
#4 7 The Summer Blockbuster 27:
Read a book that features a hero's journey or is a Bildungsroman (coming of age tale); or that has a word related to space in the title (i.e., star, planet, rocket).
Wolfskin by Juliet Marillier 516 $5
#5 9 European Vacation 35:
Read a book set in Europe; or that was written by an author who was born in Europe; or that involves travel by boat or that has a picture of a ship on the cover.
A Grave Matter by Anna Lee Huber 433 $5
6/8
#6a 10 Pass Go:  Collect $5! n/a n/a $5
Novelty Card Race Car -- save for later
(Race around the game board to the space of your choosing and read!)
n/a n/a n/a
#6b 11 Mountain Cabin 18:
Read a book that is set west of the Mississippi in the USA, or that was written by an author who comes from that region, or that is considered part of the Western genre.
Stone Cold Heart by Laura Griffin 357 $3
6/10
#7a 7 BL Square:  Spin the Wheel Decide n/a n/a n/a
Wheel Decide:  Take one extra roll n/a n/a n/a
#7b 10 European Vacation 33:
Read a book set in the UK, or that was written by an author whose first or last name begins with any letter in the word L-O-N-D-O-N.
The Indignation of Haruhi Suzumiya by Nagaru Tanigawa 212 $3
6/13
#8 5 Pass Go:  Collect $5! n/a n/a $5
School's Out For Summer 1:
Read a book that appears on any school related "summer reading list," or that is identified as YA or MG
Going Rogue by Robin Benway 321 $3
6/16
#9 10 Beach Week 10:
Read a book that appears on any beach reads list, or a book whose author's first or last name begins with any letter in B-E-A-C-H.
Chasing Evil by Kylie Brant 324 $3
6/19
#10 6 Mountain Cabin 16:
Read a book that is considered mystery/suspense genre, or which has a title that contains all of the letters in the word C-A-B-I-N.
Touching Evil by Kylie Brant 288 $3
6/26
#11 4 The Lake House 19:
Read a book with a cover that is more than 50 percent blue, or by an author whose first or last name starts with any letter in the word L-A-K-E.
Facing Evil by Kylie Brant 314 $3
6/29
#12 6 The Summer Blockbuster 25:
Read a book (or a book in a series) that has been adapted for film or television.
TBA
TBA



No comments:

Post a Comment