Thursday, June 9, 2016

Cover Crush: Daughters of the Lake by Jane Riddell


Cover Crush is a feature originally thought up by Erin at Flashlight Commentary.  Every Thursday, she publishes a post featuring a book jacket/book cover that she really likes with a short commentary about it.  I discovered this weekly feature via It's a Mad Mad World  and decided to join in the fun!

Judge a book by it's cover?  Absolutely!

***


I'm probably not going to read this book, but it caught my attention as I was perusing e-mails from book blogs I'm subscribed to and the entire picture just sort of caught my attention.

I guess I could be the one of few people on earth who doesn't care for the color red, but it definitely DOES stand out, and I find myself more often than not readily drawn towards pictures (and in this case, book covers) that happen to have a woman wearing a red dress.  It's not even a bold red, but a typical, well-worn, solid red dress.  And it's eye-catching.

Add onto that the wistful feel of looking over a house on a lake with a mountain view in the background, and somehow, the entire feel of this cover jacket is kind of nice.

I could do without the type-face of the author and title.  In fact, the font and the entire effect of the author/title combination is just kind of distracting.  I'm not sure how it could be changed for the better.  Maybe set in smaller font size in a corner somewhere?

Anyway, Daughters of the Lake looks to be a human drama type of fiction; something I don't often pick up, so the chances of my reading it are pretty nil.

Still...


No comments:

Post a Comment