Sunday, June 19, 2016

Short Review: A Lot Like Love

A Lot Like Love

by Julie James
Book 2 of FBI/U.S. Attorney

~ Goodreads ~

Rating:  4.0 Stars

The FBI wants her cooperation...

As the daughter of a billionaire and the owner of the city's top wine store, Jordan Rhodes is invited to the most exclusive parties in Chicago.  But there's only one party the FBI wants to crash: the charity fundraiser of a famous restaurateur, who also happens to launder money for the mob.  In exchange for her brother's release from prison, Jordan is going to be there—with a date supplied by the Bureau.

Agent McCall just wants her...

As the top undercover agent in Chicago, Nick McCall has one rule: never get personal.  This "date" with Jordan Rhodes is merely an assignment—one they're both determined to pull off even if they can't be together for five minutes before the sarcasm and sparks begin to fly.  But when Nick's investigation is compromised, he and Jordan have no choice but to pretend they're a couple, and what starts out as a simple assignment begins to feel a lot like something more.


Another good one from Julie James with one of my more favorite story tropes: Pretending to be a couple... for whatever reason.  So much potential for sizzling romances to begin this way.  These FBI/US Attorney ones aren't as intense and action-packed as the I-Team novels, but what I love about Julie James books are the characters and their witty, insightful, intelligent banter.  These are great characters you can't help but fall in love with.

I think I liked the chemistry and the dialogue exchanges between Jordan and Nick more so than when I was reading the first book with Cameron and Jack (also witty and fun, but not as sassy). I also loved the relationship between Jordan and Kyle and hope to see more interaction between the twins in the next book as well.

Lots of fun to read and highly entertaining.

Also... Tall, Dark, and Smoldering...?  lol That's a good one (and also a nice descriptive fit for Nick, I guess).  But I think I also liked Kyle's description of "Tall, Dark, and Sarcastic."  It fits, and it also gave a little foray into Kyle's character, which I immediately took a shine to, so I'm looking forward to seeing how his story pans out in the next book.



This review was originally posted at Goodreads in September 2013.



No comments:

Post a Comment