Monday, July 31, 2017

Brief Thoughts: Dream a Little Dream

Dream a Little Dream

by Jill Shalvis
Lucky Harbor #8.5 - a novella
*Part of A Christmas to Remember anthology

~ Goodreads ~

Rating:  4.0 Stars

Melissa has kept every man at a safe distance-especially firefighter Ian, a sexy friend with sexy benefits.  But Ian secretly longs for more.  Luckily, 'tis the season for giving love a chance . . .


I only read Jill Shalvis's Lucky Harbor novella from this anthology, since I'm making may way through the Lucky Harbor series right now.

It's a little off-season for a Christmas story, but let's just call this my "Christmas in July" selection... or something like that.  Like I said, I'm making my way through the series, and this was the next story in line.

This short story really took me by surprise since I haven't quite enjoyed any of the other short stories or novellas in the series.  Dream a Little Dream is heart-warming and sweet, with a lovely emotional twist that kind of puts life into perspective.

Melissa's clumsy attempt at winning Ian back was wonderfully endearing, and hit a lot of pangs in my heart. T he wriggling mass of black lab puppy was a nice bonus.  And Ian's brief family reunion scene packed a nice little punch.

The reason why this short story doesn't get a perfect score is only because I would have liked to see more about Melissa and Ian's relationship, and I would have liked to see someone from a previous book, even if only for a millisecond.

Nonetheless, overall, this was a sweet story, and maybe being short and simple is better than dragging it out and adding too much to the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment