Thursday, July 27, 2017

Booklikes-opoly | Roll #33! and Free Friday #7!

Booklikes-opoly
Booklikes, the book blogging social platform


I landed on Luxury Tax for Roll #32, a space I'd landed on one after the Big Game Shake Up, so location multiplier for a second finish of the game space applied.  For this space, I chose to read On the Loose by Tara Janzen--the heroine in this book can be considered a millionaire.  The book is 403 pages, which gave me a $15.00 increase to the Bank.


On the Loose was entertaining.  It dragged for some parts of the book, and maybe there was too much going on, but I really loved Honey and the fact that she's not what you expect.  A review will be posted soon.


Roll #33.1:



So a set of doubles was rolled, granting me a double 3 = 6.  This took me from Luxury Tax to BL Square 20.


Monkey striking another fun pose.  Like a ballet pose?

Anyway, so I need to roll again to see what my task is:


BL Task #2:  "Give $5.00 to another player.  If you don't have $5.00, roll again!"

After a bit of "Eenie-meenie-miney-moe," (or rather, I just randomly chose twelve players, assigned everyone a number and then rolled my d12), I ended up choose Familiar Diversions to give $5.00 to.  At this point in the game, I don't know that free money will help a whole lot of people, but I have to give away free money, so there it is!

I give to thee, Familiar Diversions, a $5.00 increase to your bank!

Don't spend it all in one place!


Since I rolled doubles, I will roll again.  Roll #33.2:



I rolled an 8 and ended up landing on Free Parking.


Oh, Monkey!  It's not that bad.  We can afford $5.00.  And look, Free Parking isn't a bad spot either--we've been here before.  It just means we roll again.  "Roll the dice.  Odd number sends you to the waterworks, even number sends you to the electric company, doubles sends you to the luxury tax."


So, rolling an odd number, I move to Water Works.  "Read a book with water on the cover, or where someone turns on the waterworks (i.e., cries) because of an emotional event."


See, Monkey.  All is well in the world... and you've already found your zen again... Right...


Moving right along.

I have landed on this square once since the Big Game Shake Up, so the following location multiplier applies:

Second finish:
0 to 100 pages: $3.00
101 to 200 pages: $6.00
201 to 400 pages: $9.00
401 to 800 pages: $15.00
over 801 pages: $30.00

This is one of those game spaces where there is a part of the task that is hard to determine simply based on the book's title, summary, or even book cover--the part about someone turning on the water works.  I guess, unless the book gives you a definitive about someone going through an emotional event that would merit tears.

So I've been using the other part of the game square task, water on the cover, to make my selection.

As much as I was hoping I could get myself another lucky roll and start reading another physical book for COYER Summer Reading List readathon this week, that just didn't happen.  None of the paperbacks I've chosen to put on my reading list have water on the cover.

Ah well.

Fortunately there is one book on my COYER list, though not a physical book, that I can read for this game space.  It just won't count towards the readathon, unfortunately.  But I've been meaning to read this book for a long time, and it has shown up a few times as a possibility on some of my other BLopoly rolls.  So I probably should just get to it.


Heat Wave is an anthology with the following titles of novellas included:  Rex on the Beach by Stephanie Bond, Getting Into Trouble by Leslie Kelly, and Shaken and Stirred by Heidi Betts.  Combined, these novellas total 320 pages of book, Kindle version.  With the location multiplier in place, this book will be worth $9.00, so I will at least make back a bit of money after giving away $5.00.


Free Friday #7:

Once again, I'm going to post my Free Friday selection a day early, since I already have a book chosen for this last Free Friday of BLopoly.  Since COYER is still ongoing, I'm going to pick the next Steele Street book, which I DO have until the end of Sunday to finish if I want it to count towards the COYER July readathon (read physical books only).  And well, I have until Monday to finish if I want it to count for BLopoly, of course.


Cutting Loose is the next book in the Steele Street series and is 405 pages, worth $10.00 upon completion.


Hopefully, I will be able to complete both books in time to cash in a final Bank for BLopoly.  If I'm lucky, I'll finish Heat Wave in time to roll one last time before BLopoly is officially over, though I'm not going to make myself any promises.  In all honesty, these might be the last two books I read for BLopoly... and I'm quite okay with that.



Current Bank:   $249


No comments:

Post a Comment