Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Booklikes-opoly | Roll #32!

Booklikes-opoly
Booklikes, the book blogging social platform


Roll #31 took me to Main Street 10, a square I've only landed on once before prior to the Big Game Shake Up (see above link).  For this square, I read Always on My Mind by Jill Shalvis, which is part of the Lucky Harbor series, a contemporary romance set in the small Washington state town of Lucky Harbor, where everyone knows everyone's business, especially if you get caught doing personal business by the town's Facebook page keeper, Lucille... who has now also learned how to Twitter.

Always on My Mind is 318 pages, worth $6.00.


This book felt overly complicated.  It has all the wit and shine that Shalvis typically infuses into her stories and her characters... and yet I still found Leah and Jack overly complicated.  Mainly because I had no idea what either of them wanted from each other throughout the entire book.  Somehow, I feel like if they'd quit talking around each other, or if they'd quit trying to read each other's minds, thus jumping to conclusions, their relationship would have progressed just a little more smoothly.

But then we probably wouldn't have had a story 300 pages long.


Meanwhile, I also finished reading my Free Friday read from 7/21, Midnight Crystal by Jayne Castle, earning another $6.00 for the 371 page book.  Another great, entertaining read from Jayne Castle, and I'm closer to finishing the series.

A review for both books will be posted soon.


That brings us to Roll #32:


Because I finished reading Always on My Mind at work, I whipped out my phone and went ahead and rolled.  I got a 5, which brought me to Luxury Tax, which says:  "Read a book where someone gets married, with jewelry on the cover, or where any character is a millionaire/billionaire!"


I'm not sure what new pose Monkey is going for here, but, hey, as long as everyone looks happy!  Of course, I would be happier if my mascot monkey would quit covering up my board so much.


I have landed on Luxury Tax once before, after the Big Game Shake Up took place.  Being that, this will be a second finish, and so the following location multiplier applies:

Second finish:
0 to 100 pages: $3.00
101 to 200 pages: $6.00
201 to 400 pages: $9.00
401 to 800 pages: $15.00
over 801 pages: $30.00

Meanwhile, because I was at work when I landed on this game space, I didn't have all of my handy-dandy book list of possible books for each square available.  So I started looking at books that I'd been meaning to read, such as the Tremaine Traditions books by Kylie Brant, or some such...

But it occurred to me that one of the books that I really, really want to read (for more reasons than one) managed to fit this game space wonderfully, as well as count towards another challenge.  And I got super excited, but this works out, oh so great!


I'd been meaning to read On the Loose by Tara Janzen, both for my Personal Series Challenge, and also for COYER Summer Reading List.  And as it just so happens to be the July readathon of the "read physical books only" persuasion, I was going to go ahead and squeeze this book in for the week, BLopoly or no BLopoly.

Of course, being a BLopoly candidate is absolutely better!  So when I recalled that the main heroine, Honoria "Honey" York-Lytton had shown up in the previous Steele Street book, introduced as a rich socialite, who readily dropped a quarter of a million dollars into an orphanage where her sister works and resides as a nun, I figured that she has to be a millionaire of some sort, maybe an heiress to whatever trust fund her parents will have put together for her.

I've already started reading some of the book while I was at work, and the emphasis on her wealth and family lineage is evident.  Some Paris Hilton references are made, and she's referred to as a socialite a few times, as well as how most people don't question her hopping from one country to another at the drop of a dime.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and deduce that Honey comes from money--lots of it.

On the Loose by Tara Janzen is the seventh Steele Street series book, and my paperback copy is 403 pages long.  According the "Second Finish" location multiplier, when I finish this book, I will be increasing my Bank by $15.00.

Not a bad deal at all!  And to think that I had been contemplating buying another roll to see where I'd end up.


Current Bank:   $239


No comments:

Post a Comment