@ Booklikes, the book blogging social platform
Happy Fourth of July, everyone!
Come celebrate the holiday with Baby... as he remains cocooned in his "Anti-Boom-Boom-Bang-Almost-Soundproof Chamber" made of pillows. Like each year, we are going to have to figure out how to make it up to him with lots of treats and loving and snuggles. Poor guy can't catch a break during this time of year, but at least he came out from under the bed, finally.
Per more BLopoly game twists, Moonlight has given us another game challenge! The Fourth of July Optional BL Challenge: In honor of Independence Day, everyone gets a free move to one of the Main Street squares on the board, regardless of where you are currently located. And it doesn't interfere with your next roll date, or the book you are currently reading.
I have so many books I can read for the first two Main Street squares! Not so much the last one...
Coincidentally, my next roll is also today, 7/4, as I had just finished reading my previous roll's book today. I finished my book in the middle of my shift at work, and needed something new to read, so I decided to go ahead and take my roll, and start reading my book (more details to follow)!
According to Moonlight, I can either take my roll first, then move to Main Street, or I can move to one of the Main Street squares first, then take my next roll.
And, as I've stated, I went ahead and took my next roll first, and will move to the Main Street square of my choosing following.
Now onto my Game Play by Play!
Roll #24 brought me to New Orleans Square 19, where I needed to read something either tagged 'gothic' or 'horror', or a ghost story. I chose Susanna Kearsley's The Shadowy Horses, which is tagged 'gothic' on GR. It is 430 pages, worth $10.00.
The Shadowy Horses was a very interesting and great read. I can't help but feel like a whole lot of nothing happened in this book, however, and it didn't give me much of a chill than I'd expected for having ghostly sightings. But Kearsley is an excellent writer and the imagery she created with her vivid descriptions were wonderful. The characters weren't too shabby either. I will definitely check out more of her work.
On top of that, I also finished my Free Friday Read for 6/30 pretty quickly, considering I had chosen Pamela Clare's newest Colorado High Country series release... and I always breeze right through a Pamela Clare book like my life depended on it!
Altogether, I increased my Bank to $147!
Reviews for both books will be forthcoming.
And now Roll #25:
I rolled a 7 and landed on Adventureland 26.
Monkey's in no mood to move around, so we've left him in the same spot. That's alright, because he's in the middle of some zen right now, and no one wants to interrupt him.
Meanwhile, since I started reading my book for this square already, before finishing this update post, I won't keep everyone in suspense:
Driving Heat by fictional author Richard Castle is the seventh book in the Nikki Heat series. It is tagged as a 'thriller' on GR, and clocks in at 336 pages, which will give me a $6.00 boost. It's also part of my Reading Assignment Challenge as well, so that helps.
As for my Optional Fourth of July BL Challenge:
As I'd stated above, I have a lot of books I could read for the first two squares, but my choice definitely strays to Main Street 11.
Reading a book written by an author born prior to 1955 is my best bet, and I have several authors listed who would fall under that category. Some of the books I'm trying to decide between include mostly Jayne Ann Krentz books, Nora Roberts books, and one Elizabeth Lowell novel. And while at first I really wanted to pick up the next Arcane Society book, I found myself also interested in Ravished by Amanda Quick (JAK's historical persona).
However, after some thought, I decided just to read the Elizabeth Lowell book I already own, which is also on my COYER Summer Reading List. Once again, two challenges, one book! Yay!
Night Diver is 388 pages = $6.00 upon completion!
And now let's make sure that Teddy Bear got moved to the right spot:
Peek-a-Boo Penni's back, and she's helping keep Teddy Bear on the board while Monkey continues his path to zen.
Once again, Happy Fourth to everyone! Have a fun holiday!
Current Bank: $147
- Roll #1 (4/15): A Perilous Undertaking by Deanna Raybourn / 345 pages = $3.00
- Roll #2 (4/17): The Paris Assignment by Addison Fox / 284 pages = $3.00
- Roll #3 (4/21): False Memory by Dean Koontz // Donated 200 pages to the Jail Library
- Roll #4.1 (4/23): Schoolgirl by DAZAI Osamu / 50 pages = $1.00
- Roll #4.2 (4/23): Don't Look Away by Leslie A. Kelly / 323 pages = $3.00
- Roll #4.3 (4/23): Rolled three doubles, ended up in Jail / Served 332 out of 300 pages in Jail
- Storming the Castle by Eloisa James // 138 pages served
- False Memory by Dean Koontz // 194 pages served
- Roll #5 (4/29): The Duchess War by Courtney Milan / 271 pages = $3.00
- Roll #6.1 (4/29): SKIPPED
- Roll #6.2 (4/29): Running Hot by Jayne Ann Krentz / 352 pages = $3.00
- Roll #7 (4/29): Backwoods by Jill Sorenson / 378 pages = $3.00
- Roll #8 (4/29): Before the Storm by Leslie Tentler / 336 pages = $3.00
- Roll #9 (5/9): The Thing About Love by Julie James / 380 pages = $3.00
- Roll #10.1 (5/11): The House at Riverton by Kate Morton / 468 pages = $5.00
- Roll #10.2 (5/11): Two Guys Detective Agency by Stephanie Bond / 255 pages = $3.00
- Roll #11 (5/18): The London Deception by Addison Fox / 282 pages = $3.00
- Roll #12 (5/20): BL Task - Double rewards on next read & share w/ a friend / No book read.
- Roll #13 (5/22): Carnal Innocence by Nora Roberts / 402 pages = $5.00
- Roll #14 (5/27): Obsidian Prey by Jayne Castle / 351 pages = $3.00
- Roll #15 (5/27): The Rome Affair by Addison Fox / 284 pages = $3.00
- Roll #16.1 (5/27): Rumor Has It by Jill Shalvis / 281 pages = $3.00
- Roll #16.2 (5/27): Once a Thief by Kay Hooper / 326 pages = $3.00
- Roll #17 (6/6): The Countess Conspiracy by Courtney Milan / 318 pages = $3.00
- Roll #18 (6/8): Don't Ever Stop by Leslie A. Kelly / 281 pages = $3.00
- Free Friday #1 (6/16): The Suffragette Scandal by Courtney Milan / 322 pages = $6.00
- Roll #19 (6/18): To the Rescue by Jean Barrett / 292 pages = $6.00
- Roll #20.1 (6/22): The Mysterious Twin by Leona Karr / 256 pages = $6.00
- Roll #20.2 (6/22): The Substitute Sister by Lisa Childs / 240 pages = $6.00
- Free Friday #2 (6/23): It Had to Be You by Jill Shalvis / 327 pages = $6.00
- Roll #21 (6/24): The Manhattan Encounter by Addison Fox / 283 pages = $6.00
- Roll #22.1 (6/26): Pushing the Line by Kimberly Kincaid / 122 pages = $4.00
- Roll #22.2 (6/26): Her Wild Hero by Paige Tyler / 334 pages = $6.00
- Roll #23 (6/28): Secret Agent Secretary by Melissa Cutler / 248 pages = $6.00
- Roll #24 (6/30): The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsely / 430 pages = $10.00
- Free Friday #3 (6/30): Tempting Fate by Pamela Clare / 281 pages = $6.00
- Roll #25 (7/4): Driving Heat by Richard Castle / 336 pages = $6.00 pending
- Fourth of July Opt-in (7/4): Night Diver by Elizabeth Lowell / 388 pages = $6.00 pending