My goal for the month of October... was pretty much trying to finish as many Halloween Bingo squares as I could. In other words, I needed to completely double the number of books I'd be reading in October than I managed in September. How did I do?
As we already saw from my Halloween Bingo Wrap Up, I think I did quite well. Much better than I'd been expecting, in fact.
Books Dropped/Put On Hold
October Reading StatsTotal works read: 17
- 15 print/e-book novels
- 1 audio books
- 1 short stories
Average rating: 3.50 Stars
- Highest Rated: Discount Armageddon // 4.5 Stars
- Lowest Rated: 3 books // 2.5Stars
- (1) Sick of Shadows by Sharyn McCrumb
- (2) Secret Admirer by Cynthia Eden
- (3) Ghost Horse by Patricia Rosemoor
Series I started reading:
- Discworld by Terry Pratchett
- Elizabeth MacPherson by Sharyn McCrumb
- Nursery Crimes by Jasper Fforde
- A Nichelle Clarke Crime Thriller by LynDee Walker
- InCryptids by Seanan McGuire
- Wolfe Security by Laura Griffin
- A Noodle Shop Mystery by Vivien Chien
- Cutler, Sutter & Salinas
Favorite reads: I squee'd about Discount Armageddon, so we know that that was definitely my favorite read for the month of October. I squee'd bad! In other news, I also quite enjoyed The Big Over Easy, the three Nichelle Clarke cozies, and the newest Laura Griffin book, Desperate Girls. Then there's Jayne Ann Krentz (also Amanda Quick), who is always a delight!
Disappointing reads: I want to say that my biggest disappointment for the month of October was a tie between Secret Admirer or Spinning Silver. While I wasn't exactly that bummed by Secret Admirer's less than on par writing, I was much, MUCH more disappointed that Spinning Silver didn't live up to the expectations I held based on how much I'd loved Novik's previous retelling, Uprooted. But that could just be my own personal issues.
Reviews & Notable Posts
- The Splendour Falls by Susanna Kearsley
- Sick of Shadows by Sharyn McCrumb
- The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde
- Front Page Fatality by LynDee Walker
- Secret Admirer by Cynthia Eden
- Endless Night by Agatha Christie
- Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire
- Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke | Review transfer
- Buried Leads by LynDee Walker
- Desperate Girls by Laura Griffin
- Cracked by Eliza Crewe
- Splintered by A.G. Howard | Review transfer
- Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik
- Did not Meme this month!
- Random Book Update: Endless Night
- Halloween Bingo 2018 | Update #3
- Random Reading Updates: The Big Over Easy
- Halloween Bingo 2018 | Update #4
- Halloween Bingo 2018 | Update #5
- Halloween Bingo 2018 | Update #6 - That Elusive First Bingo!
- Can You Read a Series In A Month? November 2018 Challenge
- Halloween Bingo 2018 | Random Update
Coming Up In November
Other StuffObviously the beginning of The 24 Festive Tasks reading game has already bitten my excitement. I'm already drafting many, many posts for updates, tracking, and book reviews. I've already started looking for books for the Book Tasks already revealed, and I'm making plans for Non-book Tasks. Where I might have slacked a bit in previous years, I'm actually feeling quite motivated this year!
Meanwhile, the other challenge I'm participating in will be in the works soon, as soon as I get a few other books finished. Reading the entire series of Melinda Leigh's Midnight series for the 'Can You Read a Series in a Month?' challenge should be a pretty easy breeze... I hope.
Meanwhile, stay tuned for many other 24 Festive Tasks updates!
2018 Wrap-UpsPast Monthly Reading Wrap Ups (2016 / 2017)
See Also: 2015 Reading Wrap-Up posts (scroll to bottom of page)
(updated as year progresses by month)
January | February | March | April | May | June
July | August | September | October | November | December