The holidays are always busy, busy, with a lot going on, so I'm actually quite surprised that I managed to slip in a few more books during the last two weeks of December. Of course, some of them were novellas, but they still count towards my goal. And then on the last two days of the month, Courtney Milan happened again and made me remember why I had been wanting to read the rest of her books--not that I ever forgot, but the idea was quite reinforced.
Anyway, hope everyone had a great holiday! And now we can all begin the year anew with new resolutions and new ambitions and new goals and new challenges!
Also read two novellas, covers not shown here:
-- The Legend of the Werestag by Tessa Dare
-- The Scandalous, Dissolute, No Good Mr. Wright by Tessa Dare
Books Dropped/Put On Hold
None this month! Yay!
December Reading StatsTotal works read: 17
- 12 print/e-book novels
- 1 audio books
- 4 novellas
Average rating: 3.35 Stars
- Highest Rated: 2 books // 4.5 Stars
- (1) Proof by Seduction by Courtney Milan
- (2) Trial by Desire by Courtney Milan
- Lowest Rated: The Scandalous, Dissolute, No Good Mr. Wright by Tessa Dare // 2.0 Stars
Series I started reading:
- Hercule Poirot by Agatha Christie
- Lucky Harbor by Jill Shalvis
- Spindle Cove by Tessa Dare
- Castles Ever After by Tessa Dare
- Carhart by Courtney Milan
- Harmony by Jayne Castle
Favorite reads: I love Tessa Dare, though I do have to say that even a beloved author can be a miss a few times. Nonetheless, I still really enjoyed the last couple books for Spindle Cove with Any Duchess Will Do being my favorite. On the other hand, I managed to slide in two more historical romances at the end of the month by Courtney Milan, and absolutely loved them both: Proof by Seduction and Trial by Desire. Neither are as great as the Brothers Sinister series, but still wonderfully witty and lovely.
Disappointing reads: As Tessa Dare had some of my more enjoyable reads for December, as did she also have one of my least enjoyable reads--a novella by the name of The Scandalous, Dissolute, No Good Mr. Wright, which I didn't write a review for... but I just had all sorts of frustrating thoughts about throughout. I believe this was one of her earlier works. Otherwise, the month really didn't generate too much hate in booklandia, really...
Reviews & Notable Posts
- Spindle Cove books by Tessa Dare
- Forensics: What Bugs, Burns, Prints, DNA, and More Tell Us About Crime by Val McDermid
- He's So Fine by Jill Shalvis
- Packaged Thoughts Christmas 2017: All the Books I Didn't Review
- Mystique by Amanda Quick
- The Lady Most Likely... by Julia Quinn, Eloisa James, and Connie Brockway
- The Girl Who Knew Too Much by Amanda Quick
- Frost Line by Linda Howard and Linda Jones
- Castles Ever After series by Tessa Dare
- All the Crooked Saints by Maggie Stiefvater
- Stoneview Estate by Leona Karr
- One in a Million by Jill Shalvis
- Merry Christmas, Baby by Jill Shalvis
- Did Not Meme This Month!
- 16 Festive Tasks | Square 5 - Advent (Task 1) - My youngest brother and a Master's Degree!
- 2018 Reading Assignment | Spring Semester Book List!
Coming Up In January
Other StuffWith the beginning January also comes the beginning of the new year. I don't know what will be in store for me in 2018, because even while I'm still picking up a lot of reading challenges, I'm intent on keeping that laid back reading attitude I'd been trying to implement all 2017 (rather unsuccessfully). I'm not making any big, big plans for 2018; for this coming year, my main goal is just to focus on what I want to read, some of the series I'm meaning to finish up, and the new twist on the Reading Assignment Challenge.
I'm determined to just let the reading challenges be guidelines rather than anchors on what I should read. If I can't think of what to read, I can refer to my challenges and choose from the many books that are part of each.
And if fellow readers at Booklikes want to start up another reading game, I'd be more than happy to join!
Meanwhile, I'm also planning on purging my TBR and my series lists. There are a lot of books I've read that are the first in a series... and I'm resolved to make a decision on whether or not I'm going to continue that series or not. Once again, I think it's time to purge that TBR list.
My tentative reading list for January is pretty skimpy (one book on the plan) compared to previously presented. I honestly, do not know what to choose for my next read after I finish what I'm currently reading (listed above). I've only chosen one book a month for my Reading Assignment, which is currently being read.
So... I suppose now would be a good time to go through the TBR stacks and see what needs to be read!
2017 Wrap-UpsPast Monthly Reading Wrap Ups
See Also: 2015 Reading Wrap-Up posts (scroll to bottom of page)
(updated as year progresses by month)
January | February | March | April | May | June
July | August | September | October | November | December