Sunday, July 31, 2016

Brief Thoughts: The River Knows

The River Knows

by Amanda Quick

~ Goodreads ~

Rating:  4.0 Stars

The first kiss occurred in a dimly lit hallway on the upper floor of Elwin Hastings's grand house.  Louisa never saw it coming...

Of course, Anthony Stalbridge couldn't possibly have had romantic intentions.  The kiss was an act of desperation, meant to distract the armed guard who was about to catch the pair in a place they most definitely did not belong.  After all, in her dull maroon gown and gold-rimmed spectacles, Louisa Bryce was no man's idea of an alluring female.  Clearly, the only thing a catch like Anthony Stalbridge had in common with a wallflower like Louisa was a passionate interest in the private affairs of Mr. Hastings--a prominent member of Society whom they both suspect of hiding terrible secrets.  Now, thrown into each other's arms by their ruse, Anthony and Louisa are united in their efforts to find the truth.

Each has a personal reason for the quest.  Months earlier, Anthony's fiance threw herself into the Thames--or at least, that is the version whispered in London's social circles.  Anthony believes someone else may have had a hand in her death--and a murderous one at that.  Louisa, whose own identity is shrouded in layers of mystery, is convinced that Hastings has a connection to a notorious brothel.  When Anthony successfully cracks Hastings's hidden safe and discovers highly incriminating evidence, it appears that both their instincts were correct.

But Hastings is hiding far more than jewels and ledger books.  Bringing him to justice will be more perilous than Louisa and Anthony anticipate--and their partnership will be more heated than either expects.  For the two share a thrilling attraction to danger, and it is not only Anthony's curiosity that Louisa arouses.


To date, this is probably the Amanda Quick book with the most riveting mystery I've read--in my personal opinion, of course.  I know a lot of other people might disagree.  But I enjoyed every moment of this book and was actually quite in love with how the entire story unfolded.  And I am always ever in love with how quickly books by this author jump right into the action, the excitement, and the intrigue.

When played right, the secret reveals in certain books work really well.  And this was one of the instances I liked in particular.

The only unfortunate thing is that, like all the other Amanda Quick books I've read, The River Knows is not really all that memorable.  I barely remember some of the little details, though I know there were certain scenes that made me laugh or feel happy about.

I barely remember character names within a couple days of finishing the book (had to look them up) even though I know I liked the characters.  Louisa was the standard Amanda Quick independent, feisty, resourceful heroine with a heart of gold.  Anthony was the standard romance novel broody alpha male with motives... although if I were to be honest, he really wasn't as broody as I'm making him sound.  In fact, I actually kind of liked his approach to the developing romantic relationship he had with Louisa.  And I actually kind of liked the way some things happened for this couple, in contrast to how most romance novels develop the love story.

So I DID really enjoy reading this book and when I was finished, I gave it a high rating because of how much I enjoyed it, and how much I liked the way the story progressed, and how much I liked the characters and their interactions, and how much I liked the romance despite Amanda Quick's formulaic signatures which I have come to expect and will resignedly, but willingly wave on.

Here's to another non-Arcane Society Amanda Quick book that I thoroughly enjoyed.  May there be more before I get tired of the same stories; although I am also a fan of "tried and true" for those times where I just need an enjoyable book of which employs said tried and true formulas, written well, with readily likable characters to keep me entertained.

I now decree Amanda Quick as one of my go to, absurdly addictive author for when I just need something to read to make me happy!


***


2016 Reading Challenges:
Goodreads Reading Challenge
BookLikes Reading Challenge
COYER Summer Vacation 2016 -- Bingo Board Two | Square O7 -- Romance


No comments:

Post a Comment