Sunday, July 3, 2016

2016 Bookish Resolutions -- May & June Progress Report

hosted by



May ramblings:  So I got really, really lazy this month (aside from all the reading I managed to do) and just didn't want to do a monthly progress report.  And so I made a decision to start combining my progress reports.  This time around will be for May and June.  Next time around... I don't know.  But at least May was a great month in terms of some catching up on some of my goals.  I finally made time for one new recipe (the first and only other was in January).  Though that's pretty much it for May...

June ramblings:  I'm starting to believe that I've gotten lazy about blogging.  To be honest, while I like blogging about my reading challenges, I don't like having to update twenty posts about reading challenges.  So... first of all, I'm hoping to finally be able to consolidate everyone to one blog soon and then cross post from said blog elsewhere.  That will be a new blogging goal for me, though I won't really list it.  Otherwise, everything else going on this month has been rather blah.  I have a lot of catching up to do.

The new "Delete and Tweak" option:  I never had much issue with my Blogging Goals or my Reading Goals.  Though the Blogging Goals feel a bit more tedious and at least one of my Blogging Goals has been harder to manage, I'm still doing fine.  But it seems that my Personal Goals are the issues right now, so changes will definitely be made there.  Changes will be in blue font.  And yes, I fully took advantage of this new option, because, once again, I overshot myself and made one too many goals.


Blogging Goals


- 1 -  Participate in at least 50% of the Top Ten Tuesday meme (@ The Broke and the Bookish) topics for 2016--that's 26 of the TTT topics.


Running Total:  12 Top Ten Tuesday posts written


- 2 -  Continue to post Monthly Reading Wrap-ups... with a slightly less overwhelmingly bulky form.

Deleted Goal:  Because this one seems redundant now that I've been doing it regularly.  And it's a bit tedious because I'm tired of listing all my wrap ups each progress report.  In fact, I will soon be creating a non-review blog post index that includes everything else I post about including monthly reading wrap ups.

- 3 -  Create and try to maintain a blogging schedule.

  • January:  Lots of out-of-control, lots of colors.  See January update for more info.
  • February:  No pictures this time.  Just know that things are continuing to get more chaotic. 
  • March:  Still keeping up.  See March update for more info... though not much more info.
  • April:  I've been slacking. That's all I can say really.
  • May:  No change.  Just chugging along.
  • June:  One new change--all of my reviews and some update posts are being transferred to Blogger and so I felt the need to keep track of what I'm posting in a more official capacity.  I have an "index" of sorts of all the blog posts I've written and posted as well as anything that is being written, scheduled to be published, or is in the planning phase.  When I started creating a separate book blog with Blogger, I also started transferring reviews from Booklikes and Goodreads--those transferred reviews are being tracked on my spreadsheet as well.
After six months of monkeying around with a blogging schedule, I've come up with two separate spreadsheets to keep track of what I'm blogging and one colorful calendar.  Actually one of my spreadsheets is quite colorful too.  So at this point in time, I consider this goal to be complete.  After all, even MY obsessive compulsive ass feels like some of my spreadsheets are overly adequate... maybe even a tad bit overkill.

- Bonus Goal - Attempt participating in at least two other monthly/weekly bookish memes.




Reading Goals


See Also: 2016 Bookish Resolutions shelf

- 1 - Finish reading 10 completed series that I have already started reading.


Running Total:  5 completed series finished reading
  • January:  1 series finished
  • February:  1 series finished
  • March:  1 series finished
  • April:  1 series finished
  • May:  1 series finished
  • June:  0 series finished

I had really hoped to have Lotus War finished in June, but circumstances of the "I'm not enjoying this book" persuasion blindsided me and so I decided that I needed to take a break from the world of young adult Japanese steampunk for a while.  Forcing myself to finish the series in one go is not doing my reading mood any favors.  So I'm going to take a break, take some time, and come back to the last book later.

This goal is at least fifty percent completed, so I'm happy, being that it's midyear and all.

  • (1)  Heather Wells by Meg Cabot -- COMPLETED 5/7/2016
    • Already Read:  Size 12 Is Not Fat, Size 14 Is Not Fat Either, Big Boned
    • Read in May:  
      • #4.  Size 12 and Ready to Rock -- 5/1/2016
      • #5.  The Bride Wore Size 12 -- 5/7/2016

  • Lucky Harbor by Jill Shalvis -- In progress
    • Already Read:  Simply Irresistible, The Sweetest Thing, Head Over Heels
    • Read in May:  #4. Lucky in Love -- 5/20/2016
    • Left to Read:
      • #5.  At Last
      • #6.  Forever and a Day
      • #7.  It Had to Be You
      • #8.  Always On My Mind
      • #9.  Once in a Lifetime
      • #10.  It's in His Kiss
      • #11.  He's So Fine
      • #12.  One in a Million
  • The Lotus War trilogy by Jay Kristoff -- In progress
    • Already Read:  Stormdancer
    • Read in June:  Kinslayer (book 2) -- 6/20/2016
    • Left to Read:  Endsinger (book 3)


- 2 - Catch up with 5 ongoing series that I have already started reading.


Running Total:  1 ongoing series caught up with
  • January:  0 series finished
  • February:  0 series finished
  • March:  1 series caught up
  • April:  0 series caught up
  • May:  0 series caught up
  • June:  0 series caught up

I had plans to finish reading the last two available KGI books by Maya Banks... but that didn't really happen.  At least I didn't over-estimate my ability to catch up with ongoing series.  I will leave the series listed as a form of motivation to get these last two books read.  Because in 2017, apparently there will be two more books.

  • KGI by Maya Banks -- In progress
    • Already Read:  The Darkest Hour, No Place to Run, Hidden Away, Whispers in the Dark, Echoes at Dawn, Shades of Gray, Forged in Steele, After the Storm
    • Left to Read:
      • #9.  When Day Breaks
      • #10.  Darkest Before Dawn
      • #11.  Brighter Than the Sun - Publication February 2017
      • #12.  untitled work - Publication 2017
Deleted Goal:  This goal is actually not coming along as well as I would have liked.  And I don't want to have to worry about finishing it up in a timely manner with so many other reading goals going on this year, so it's getting the boot.


- 3 - Read 5 completed series that are new to me.


Running Total:  4 new to me completed series read
  • January:  1 series finished
  • February:  0 series read
  • March:  0 series read
  • April:  2 series read
  • May:  0 series read
  • June:  1 series read

I finished one more series.  That's four down and one more to go.  ONE MORE!  I'm almost there!
  • (1)  Starbound by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner -- COMPLETED 6/7/2016
    • #1.  These Broken Stars -- 5/18/2016
    • #2.  This Shattered World -- 5/24/2016
    • #3.  Their Fractured Light -- 6/7/2016


- 4 - Participate in at least one Read-a-thon in 2016 (Bout of Books, Dewey's 24 Hour, any personal or community improv/unofficial read-a-thon, etc.)

-- GOAL COMPLETED -- 1/10/2016 --

Running Total:  3 Read-a-thons participated


- 5 - Pick up at least 10 new to me authors (books not pre-listed for my 2016 Reading Assignment Challenge).


Running Total:  10 new-to-me authors picked up -- GOAL COMPLETED  4/29/2016
  • January:  3 new-to-me authors read
  • February:  3 new-to-me authors read
  • March:  3 new-to-me authors read
  • April:  1 new-to-me authors read
  • May:  0 new-to-me authors read
  • June:  0 new-to-me authors read


- 6 - Accomplish my 2016 Mount TBR Reading Challenge goals.  Tackle those books already on my shelves pre-2016!


Running Total:  23 Mt. TBR Books read
  • January:  6 Mt. TBR books read
  • February:  5 books read
  • March:  4 books read
  • April:  3 books read
  • May:  3 books read
    1.  Prince Joe by Suzanne Brockmann -- 5/10/2016
    2.  Forever Blue by Suzanne Brockmann -- 5/11/2016
    3.  These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman -- 5/18/2016
  • June:  2 books read
    1.  Hanover House by Brenda Novak -- 6/14/2016
    2.  Kinslayer by Jay Kristoff -- 6/20/2016

See also My 2016 Mount TBR Challenge summary post for complete listing.



Personal Goals


- 1 - Clock at least 2 hours of cardio workout each month.


Running Total:  2.42 hours of cardio clocked
  • January:  0 hours cardio clocked
  • February:  2.42 hours cardio clocked
  • March: 0 hours cardio
  • April:  0 hours of cardio
  • May:  0 hours cardio
  • June:  0 hours cardio

May ramblings:  The gym is just so far away.  And so is the treadmill in my basement.  And the sidewalk around my neighborhood.

June ramblings:  I have no more excuses.


- 2 - Attempt to work out at least twice a week.  Failing that, attempt to work out at least 8 times a month (which will be met if I can get my lazy ass to work out at least twice a week). <--Tweaked to --> Attempt to do some form of physical activity at least once a week (four times a month), not necessarily in a vigorous work-out capacity, for the rest of the year.  In other words, some stretching and light strength training will count.  If I can make myself start doing cardio, that counts too.


Running Total:  4.5 times worked out
  • January:  0 times worked out
  • February:  1 time worked out
  • March: 2.5 times worked out
  • April:  2 times worked out
  • May:  0 times worked out
  • June:  1 time worked out

May ramblings:  There was a lot of food involved and a lot of sleeping involved this month.

June ramblings:  I started doing little semi-work outs each morning mid-sleep.  I'll stretch my legs a little bit before going to sleep.  Then four hours later, I'll wake up, pee, then do some more stretching.  And while I'm on the ground stretching my legs, I'll go ahead and do some mini core workouts.  It's not much, but I feel like it's better than nothing.  Then, at some point after I finally got better from being sick with the cold, I started doing some mini arm work outs during the evening.

All of that has to count for something, right?  I'm going to call it one work out.  Because, reasons.


- 3 - Learn 5 new recipes.  Actually make said recipes.  And take pictures.  For evidence. <-- Changed 12 to 5

Yearly Total: 2 new recipes
  • January:  1 new recipe learned // Tomato Basil Soup
  • February:  0  new recipes
  • March:  0 new recipes
  • April:  0 new recipes
  • May:  1 new recipe // Sweet Potato Patties
  • June:  0 new recipes
May ramblings:  Yay!  I've got one more!  .......  Ten to go.

June ramblings:  This was a rather unproductive month.  And I had so many plans, too.


- Bonus Goal - Be better at being sociable, in general.

May ramblings:  Being sociable is relative to how much time I get to sleep and read by myself.

June ramblings:  Vacation and outings and family gatherings... sort of... Oh my!





Previous Update Posts


2016 Bookish Resolutions -- January Progress Report
2016 Bookish Resolutions -- February Progress Report
2016 Bookish Resolutions -- March Progress Report
2016 Bookish Resolutions -- April Progress Report


No comments:

Post a Comment