Friday, July 29, 2016

Quick Thoughts: Dark Light

Dark Light

by Jayne Castle
Book 5 of Harmony

~ Goodreads ~

Rating:  3.5 Stars

Reporter Sierra McIntyre's stories on Crystal City's ghost hunters--and their mysterious guild--have earned her tabloid a bit of respect.  And they've allowed her to clothe her dust-bunny companion, Elvis, in rock-and-roll style.  It helps that she has mega-rez intuition to fall back on...

Especially when she interviews Ghost Hunter Guild boss John Fontana about the disappearances of retired, homeless hunters.  She doesn't want to trust the physically and psychically powerful man, but her senses--and Elvis--give her the green light.  To uncover the conspiracy within his own organization, Fontana proposes... marriage.  And though it's purely a business arrangement, there's nothing pure about the attraction that sizzles between them...


There were many things I really liked about this book despite the common formula that Jayne Castle uses on a regular basis.  I like the new paranormal talents that continue to be introduced with each book.  I like that the world of Harmony isn't static, and that things are continuously being discovered from alien history, to human history, to new and unknown abilities.  I like that the characters are always likable and easy to follow.  I like that the romances are steamy and sexy and fun.  I like the wit and humor.

And in Dark Light, I also very much liked our main couple, Sierra and Fontana.  Of course, as per usual, Fontana is the typical broody, alpha with some back story issues.  Sierra was a bit hard to like in those first few paragraphs if only because reporters tend to be some of my least favorite character types--but she turns out to be lots of fun, laid back and righteous, and witty in her own way.

I liked the other characters introduced, even though we'll probably never see them again.

And I loved Elvis, the diva dust bunny, companion to Sierra, who loves his little Elvis cap and sunglasses, and loves to play new games.  To be totally honest, as much as I like the main human characters in these books, they are always overshadowed by the dust bunnies.  I don't think there's anything I don't love about dust bunnies and it makes me so happy to see them incorporated so naturally into the story.

Finally, I like how Jayne Castle is starting to officially incorporate the Arcane Society into the Harmony books.  As soon as it was mentioned that Sierra's ability was of a psychic nature that she uses without the aid of tuned amber--the stone that helps the Harmony characters use their psi abilities--I had a feeling we were talking about the same types of psychic abilities from the other aforementioned series.  And then it was confirmed, so I'm happy about that.

So it looks like we'll have more to look forward to in these books as the world becomes more extensive.


***

2016 Reading Challenges:
Goodreads Reading Challenge
BookLikes Reading Challenge
COYER Summer Vacation 2016 -- Bingo Board Two | Square Y8 -- Futuristic


No comments:

Post a Comment