Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Set Outside the U.S. of A.


Top Ten Tuesday is an original and weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


~~ Ten Books Set Outside of the U.S.A. ~~


This week's Top Ten Tuesday is another pretty self-explanatory one:  Books set outside of our great American nation.  I'm guessing this is a book list to promote diversity, which I am all for; though books set outside of the U.S. may not necessarily be diverse, really...  For instance, I read a lot of Military Romance--a lot are set within the U.S., but a lot are set outside of the U.S., but there is not doubting that they really aren't as diverse as most readers would like them to be.

But what do I care?  I'm Asian.  The term diverse feels kind of relative to me.

Anyway, I do have a list of some of my own personal favorites for books set outside of the U.S..  Diverse or not, you decide!  But that's not the topic of this Top Ten Tuesday, so the point is moot.


 
 

Some of the books above, I'm not entirely sure where they are set, but I know it's not the U.S., such as Vessel--I'm sure it's something tribal somewhere in the Eastern hemisphere, but I'm not entirely sure; and even Shadows on the Moon has an ambiguous Asian setting, though I think it's more than likely China, though with hints of Japanese inserted into the story.

Six of Crows and The Immortal Heights are high fantasy, but they clearly take place in a Russian-based setting, and England, respectively.  Grave Mercy takes place in Brittany; Butterfly Swords in China; The Forbidden Wish is based off of Aladdin, erego Arabian (correct me if I'm wrong); and The Silkworm and The Paid Companion are both set in England.

There were a few other books I wanted to add to this list as well, but I found that the list would go one forever:  The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is a personal favorite, set in Germany; Kalahari by Jessica Khoury is a recent book I read and liked, set in the Kalahari Desert of Africa; and there are a lot of military romances I read that also take place outside of the U.S.


No comments:

Post a Comment