Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Monthly Reading Wrap Up -- July 2017

Really, everything I needed to say about my reading experience for July is also kind of reflected in my Booklikes-opoly wrap up.  I didn't read as many books as I did the previous month, but July was still a great reading month, if only because I made a lot of great progress in my Personal Series Challenge.  And while COYER wasn't as successful this month for me, I can now dedicate myself to my Summer Reading List with BLopoly's ending.


July Reads



Also Read short story:
Dream a Little Dream (short story) by Jill Shalvis // 
included in A Christmas to Remember anthology


Books Dropped/Put On Hold


DNF'd @ 26%


Currently Reading


 
Mystique by Amanda Quick / narrated by Barbara Rosenblat
Loose and Easy by Tara Janzen


July Reading Stats

Total works read: 18
  • 16 print/e-book novels
  • 1 anthology
  • 1 short story

Average rating: 3.44 Stars
  • Highest Rated:  3 books; 1 short story // 4.0 Stars
    • (1) Hot on the Hunt by Melissa Cutler
    • (2) Fired Up by Jayne Ann Krentz
    • (3) Ravished by Amanda Quick
    • (4) Dream a Little Dream (short story) by Jill Shalvis
  • Lowest Rated:  Night Diver by Elizabeth Lowell // 2.0 Stars

Series I started reading:
  • Lawyers in Love by N.M. Silber -- DNF
  • Liar's Club by Celeste Bradley
Series I completed:
  • ICE: Black Ops Defenders by Melissa Cutler
Series I have made progress on:
  • Colorado High Country by Pamela Clare
  • Nikki Heat by Richard Castle
  • Arcane Society by Jayne Ann Krentz / Amanda Quick
  • Harmony by Jayne Castle (a.k.a. Jayne Ann Krentz)
  • Lucky Harbor by Jill Shalvis
  • Steele Street by Tara Janzen
  • Extrasensory Agents by Leslie A. Kelly

Favorite reads:  To be honest, all the books I read in July were kind of "I liked this book" to "I really liked this book," but nothing too outstandingly awesome.  So the few books I DO want to mention include Susanna Kearsley's The Shadowy Horses, which, while wasn't the best book, was enjoyable and beautifully written; Ravished by Amanda Quick, which was typical Amanda Quick fun and good; and Northern Lights by Nora Roberts, which was more enjoyable than I'd expected it to be.

Disappointing reads:  Really, the most disappointing read I had in July would be The Law of Attraction by N.M. Silber--with all the positive reviews I saw for it, I'd expected witty, fun, breezy, and sexy; instead, I got childish, boring, and eye rollingly over-hyped.  The other book I was a bit disappointed in was Night Diver by Elizabeth Lowell, which is surprising since it's not like I've always loved her books, ya know.


Reviews & Notable Posts

Reviews Written


Other Posts



Coming Up In August

Tentative TBR


Other Stuff

Is there such a thing as a Reading Game Hangover?  Because that's kind of what I'm feeling right now.  The fact that I won't be reaching for my dice roller app and rolling for the next book... it's making me feel a little lost.  How am I going to decide what to read next without a nifty set of game cards telling me what direction to go?  How will I keep from starting ten new books within the week without the game play rules keeping me in line?

What am I going to do with my life now?!!


Ahem...

Anyway...  I've still got COYER and some other year-long challenges going, and so, to be honest, it really IS going to be a bit of a feat choosing books to read based on what I want to read rather than based on what books will fit what game squares.  But that just means I'm going back to my tentative reading schedule lists, and that I don't have to worry about not finishing a book in time to roll again.  And I definitely won't be thinking about saving certain books for "just in case I land on such and such square," or NOT reading a book yet because "I need to read this other book for xyz square."

Nonetheless... it was kind of nice being told what to read next, even if you still had a modicum of choice.

I suppose this is why I like Reading Challenges.  =D


2017 Wrap-Ups 

Past Monthly Reading Wrap Ups
See Also: 2015 Reading Wrap-Up posts (scroll to bottom of page)

(updated as year progresses by month)
January | February | March | April | May | June
July | August | September | October | November | December



No comments:

Post a Comment