Sunday, April 10, 2016

Reading Progress Updates for Inhuman

Inhuman by Kat Falls

Book 1 of Fetch series


Inhuman was the first book I started reviewing and writing updates on when I first joined BookLikes.  If anything, I would have thought I'd have more updates if only because of how easy it was to write blog posts for books.  But there are only two, both of which are quite lengthy, and thus, a separate posting from the review.



First Impression: 18% Complete  

(First Inhuman update on September 25, 2013.)


So...

I've got a few quibbles going, but so far the book has managed to hook me.  And it happened almost immediately.  I'm taking this as a good thing unless the book ends up proving otherwise (yeah, redundancy = my blogging fail, but whatevs).

Delaney seems like a legit, standard butt-kicking main female character.  And I like the hints of her father subconsciously training her for travel in The Feral Zone.  That's always fun -- to secretly develop your child into a kick ass hero without even letting her know.  Which, honestly, makes me wonder if Delaney might be a bit slow on the uptake, but we'll see.

Director Spurling is one of those characters you hope will get shot by the end of the book.  Or that her face will get eaten by a mutant, Ferae infected, sickly dog or something... you know, like one of the ones she's putting in harms way just so she can blackmail Delaney.  Yeah, pulling that kind of stunt always puts you on my shit list.  Then again, I didn't really like her from moment one when she was first introduced, so sue me.

What else...  We'll probably never see him again, but I had a feeling Orlando would turn out to be a douche.

And moving onto Everston Cruz...  keeping an eye on that one, I am.

So far so good.  I'll probably end up finishing this book within the next two days.




Progress Update: 50% Complete  

(Second Inhuman update on September 26, 2013.)


Just to be safe, I've marked this post with a spoiler tag.

I like where the train of events is going.  A simple fetch that could have been completed by an experienced hunter living in The Feral Zone, but now Lane has to take things into her own hands.  And boy DOES she take things into her own hands.  That girl's a strong one, I tell you what.

At mid-point in this book, I'm more than happy about how things are progressing.  Lane doesn't strike me as a heroine who stands out any more than others have in other YA dystopians, but she's agreeable and I like her.  It took me a while to warm up to her, but not because I disliked her or anything, only really because I didn't have any outstanding thoughts about her at all.  But all of her little quirks and mannerisms, her do-gooder personality, her stubborn pride, and the fact that she knows when she needs to fall back rather than stubbornly charge forward... it makes for a more likable character than you'd usually get to see in those termed "Too Stupid To Live" types who are always out to prove something.

So I applaud her.

As for Rafe (yes, we've moved on from Everson, apparently, who actually went from agreeable to, "dear god, just go away" all too quickly), I like him too.  I was conflicted, cause the guy's a bit of an ass, and I'm more or less for the good boy, most of the time.  But Rafe is a snarky ass, and before I knew it, he picked up my heart and sang to it.  I'm not saying that I'm in love with him or anything, but he's got my attention.  He's rude and a jerk when it suits him, but you can tell he's not a complete selfish prick.

It works.  These guys are all fairly natural and realistic... well, as realistic as you can expect in a post-apocalyptic dystopian.

So, yes, I'm quite enjoying this book.

I'm also formulating a possible guess at what the series is veering into and it's got me quite excited, actually.  I've got ideas, and I hope that the author's got the same ideas, if the hints at the beginning of the book are any indication.  So this might be a series that I'm going to latch onto.



These updates were originally posted at Ani's Book Abyss / BookLikes in September 2013.  Links go to original BookLikes posts.



No comments:

Post a Comment