Wednesday, April 13, 2016

The Strange Library is strange

The Strange Library

by Haruki Murakami

~ Goodreads

Rating:  3.0 Stars




If there was an underlying meaning to the short story portrayed about a boy getting lost in the weird underground labyrinthine horror of a common city library where old men eat brains full of knowledge, sheep men get thrown into a jar with caterpillars as punishment, and a mysterious, voiceless girl appears from nowhere... I likely didn't catch it.

Oh yes, also some things to do with a starling and leather shoes.

I've never read a Haruki Murakami book before, and this book, even though it is akin to a childrens' picture book, is very much outside of my comfort genre. It's just that, between the title, the cover illustration, and the unique summary, I couldn't help but be curious. And then, when I picked up the book, it was also an interestingly strange format that I hadn't expected--a neat way to illustrate the story of The Strange Library, that's for sure.


Anyway, strange book is strange, but unique and interesting nonetheless. I'm just not sure I really understood what was going on here, though it DOES remind me vaguely of some of those Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark type books I've read before as a child.


***

2016 Reading Challenges:
Goodreads Reading Challenge
BookLikes Reading Challenge
Bookish Resolutions Challenge -- New to Me Author #3



This review was originally posted at Ani's Book Abyss / BookLikes in January 2016.



No comments:

Post a Comment