Sunday, April 10, 2016

Reading Updates for Rook

Rook by Sharon Cameron

**based on The Scarlet Pimpernel


There are only two Rook updates, but it seemed easier just to stick them both on a separate post than the actual review.

See also the random musing post: Another One Bites the Dust, which includes a little more of a reading update alongside some news and thoughts.




First Impression: Rook, Chapter 1  

(First Rook update on May 13, 2015.)


I'm not sure this is going too well.  But it might have been exhaustion or something else.  Right before going to sleep, I decided to start reading Rook, one of the seven books I checked out on a library binge... and ended up having to reread the first scene four times.  Something just doesn't feel right, for one, and second, I'm still not sure I know what exactly happened.

I will admit that the story feels like it's smoothing at at the end of the chapter though, so I'll keep my critiques to myself until I've gotten further in.

Still...  I've just got a bad feeling about this.  The last time I had to reread the beginning of a book several times (it was Libba Bray's A Great and Terrible Beauty), I ended up setting the book aside for over a year before coming back to it and just powering through.  But it gave me a bad after taste and made me extra wary of the rest of her books and series (which might explain why I still haven't finished The Diviners, even though I read half the book about a year and a half ago... which I had also had to reread the first few chapters three times for one reason or another).

It's an interesting premise that Rook has, so I'm hoping things will pick up soon.  Maybe I'm just too used to diving right into the action with all the Romantic Suspense I've been reading.



Progress Update: Page 56 of 454  

(Second Rook update on May 14, 2015.)


Still slow going, but not as badly as An Ember in the Ashes.  At least I'm still interested in Rook even though I'm still not quite certain I know what's actually going on.  But I'm starting to see a small bit of that "Ultimate game of cat and mouse" fluttering in everyone's cryptic conversations.

Except that it's coming off a bit more frustrating than it is exciting.

In other news...  I started another book... like I always do when my mind wanders from the books I'm not quite enjoying.

I'm still hoping that Rook will pick up soon though, so I'll keep reading to see where it goes.  Something seems to be happening; I just can't quite put my finger on what yet.  Except that, so far, anything that seems to be trying to convey a sense of mystery or surprise isn't really succeeding.



These posts were originally posted at Ani's Book Abyss / BookLikes in May 2015.  Links go to original BookLikes posts.



No comments:

Post a Comment